free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Rock your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s official you’ve finally landed a summer internship! Whether it’s your dream job or at a company you’ve never heard of before, you’re still in luck. Searching for an internship can be practically impossible. But after hours of applications, interviews and panic attacks you’re ready to go! Getting an internship was challenging on its own, but your summer doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips to help you get set for your summer internship! 

1. Do Your ResearchWhether you think you know everything about the company or they’re new to you, research, research, research! You don’t want to be “that girl” who doesn’t know the background or mission of the company. Don’t forget this is your company too now! 

2. Don’t StressIt’s okay to feel frazzled and worried but stressing won’t help any. I am the world’s biggest stressor so I know. But you’re only one person and you can only do so much. If you’re feeling overwhelmed talk to your supervisor. 

3. Ask for HelpDo NOT be afraid to ask for help. You’re brand new to this career and your supervisor knows that. It’s better to ask for help than to claim you know how to use a program when you really don’t. Internships are all about learning and the employees want to help you! 

4. Take NotesEach morning you’ll (most likely) meet with your supervisor where he or she will give you your tasks for the day. You don’t want to miss out on something important because you forgot. TAKE NOTES! By writing down a “To Do” list you’ll be able to keep track of your day. This will allow you to cross off things you’ve completed, making you feel accomplished and remember everything! 

5. Be PreparedI’m not saying you need to be one of those people who prepares for the end of the world. (Like me) However, you should be ready for anything. Whether you’re interning in a big city or staying local, there are some intern essentials you should always have. My suggestions include:

You may ask me, am I going to work for the day or moving into the office? There is absolutely nothing worse than walking to the subway in painful shoes… besides a dead iPhone. By having things for “just in case” moments really saves you stress, discomfort and worry! 

6. Be SeriousWhether you’re paid, unpaid or doing this for credit your internship is so important. However, you’ll only get out of it what you put in. Make sure you take this job seriously, you don’t want to disappoint your supervisor or yourself. Don’t call out sick to go to the beach with your friends. Don’t be half asleep on Friday because you stayed out all night. Make sure you’re putting your all into this. 

7. Have FunYes, this is a “job” but you can still have fun! This is your summer so you should try to make the best of it. Go out to lunch with the other interns and explore the city you’re working in. Just because it’s work doesn’t mean you still can’t have a great summer! 

Remember YOU chose to pursue an internship so make the best out of it. Yes, there are days you’ll feel stressed. Yes, there are days that there won’t be enough Starbs in the world to keep you awake. Yes, there are days you may question why am I spending my summer here?! But come that final day in August you’ll be more accomplished and proud than you ever have before. You may just feel a little sad that it’s over too. Take a deep breathe and enjoy the experience!

Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!