This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Here we are again. Mornings are growing colder and the sun is setting sooner. Tan lines are soon to fade and you’ve probably packed up your things to go back to school leaving your beach chair behind. It sucks. Leaving the mentality of summer behind and having to dive back into school work is difficult, but I’m here to give you 5 tips for surviving the end of summer blues. 

Think about your friends! 

Remember your roommates, the girl you run into every night on the fourth floor of the library, your favorite barista at Starbucks? Yes, I get that leaving your hometown friends at the end of the summer is always hard, but think of all of the smiling faces waiting for you on campus when you get back!

Getting back into a routine 

I don’t know about you, but I have no routine in the summer… whatsoever. Yes, I have a work schedule (but those shifts always vary) and before/after said shifts I have an idea of what I want to do during the day (preferably hit the gym and the beach) but there is no rhyme or reason to how I do things. What time am I getting up? Who knows. Will I head to the gym before or after the beach? If it’s after is it before or after work? These questions may seem annoying and like no big deal to you, but if you function like me, better on a routine, you’ll be thrilled to be heading back to a school schedule & planning out your days.

It’s almost fall! 

Pumpkin patches, warm apple cider, bonfires, chunky sweaters, scary movies all things fall! The weather’s a little more chilly and the leaves are changing colors. How excited for fall does thinking about these things make you? Yes, it’s sad that the ocean is getting colder and the days are getting shorter but I promise you the fall is something magical to look forward to!

Have a girls night 

Like I said before, one of my favorite parts of going back to school is getting to see my roommates. You live together for months at a time and then go weeks without seeing each other only to be thrown back into your apartment for months again. Obviously you have a lot to catch up on! Pull out the cozy blankets & a cheesy romcom or break out your cutest outfits, whatever your kind of girls night entails!

Spend time with you 

Personally, when I’m feeling down the most effective way for me to get out of said funk is to spend some time recharging by myself. Taking sometime to reflect and be with my thoughts is super beneficial! Check in with yourself, ask how you’re doing in this current season of life because your best bet at getting through these end of summer blues is to keep in check with your emotions.

Shannon Gill

Scranton '21

Senior Exercise Science Major at The University of Scranton