5 Stages of Picking Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The start of October is the start of a jam-packed month and at the very end is a fun and exciting holiday that we sometimes forget about, Halloween! In the midst of classes, midterm exams and projects it can be difficult to plan the most important part of Halloween. Costume planning takes time, which many of us don’t have at the moment. Here are the inevitable stages of picking a Halloween costume until finally arriving at the perfect one!

1. Panic

Somehow October 1st  turned into October 29th amid the deadlines for multiple classes and suddenly you remember the thrilling holiday that everyone looks forward to is only 48 hours away! You may feel helpless and stressed but this is natural and will help you to continue through the other four stages.

2. Brainstorm

You may want to let your mind wander and think of all kinds of costumes: scary, cute, funny and even risqué. What costume have you always wanted to try but never had the chance to execute? This may be the perfect time to take the risk!

3. Research

The internet, along with books, magazines, movies and TV shows can give you a great range of ideas. If you have a favorite movie or TV show, use this as an excuse to re-watch your guilty pleasures and write down any ideas that may come to you! This is also a good break from all those exams and papers that have taken over your daily life.

4. Make a List

In the words of Drake: “top 5, top 5, top 5, top 5!” Narrow down your options so that choosing your favorite(s) is a lot easier. If you have multiple events to attend, then this is a nice way to plan costume ideas for each night! If you have any ideas left over, recycle them for next year or start the process over again if you prefer.

5. Strut your stuff

Once you have picked the perfect costume that is right for you, you will feel confident and ready to have a great night showing it off. Don’t forget to have fun celebrating with family and friends and remember that you could do this process all on your own. Own the night! You earned it.

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so