This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Like many collegiates and Gen Zers alike I have a tendency to want to change up my hair often. Ever since I was fifteen I’ve been bleaching, highlighting or balayageing my hair. After six years of constant bleaching and heat styling, my once wavy thick hair had lost it’s curl and was stringy and gross.I took advantage of quarantine to get my hair healthy again. I was able to grow my hair out and keep it healthy. These are the products that helped rehab my hair and keep it healthy. With that being said, everyone’s hair is different. What works for me may not work for you. With that being said these are the products I used to save my bleached hair.

Bonus tip: As cheesy as it sounds, hair health does start in the shower and with what we put in our bodies. Drink lots of water and implement avocados or maybe salmon into your diet.

On shampoo/conditioner: I recommend switching your shampoos- it doesn’t have to be pricey, but be sure your shampoo & condition are silicone, sulfate, and DMDM hydatonin free. I fully recommend the new Suave Naturals line. It’s at most drugstores, Target and Walmart. They retail for around three dollars for 11millileters and cater to all hair types. 

Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector 

This is the product I started with. I used it in conjunction with the Olaplex No. 0 Intensive Bond Building Hair Treament which is a ntensive treatment that primes hair for deeper repair, strengthens, and protects hair integrity. It’s basically like a primer for the no. 3. The Olaplex No. 3 Bond Perfector is a concentrated treatment that strenghtens the hair from within, reducing breakage and improving it’s look and feel. I used this once every two weeks for a three to five months. To say this repaired my hair is an understatement.

Pro-tip: So after a certain point (three months or so) I didn’t think it was working as effectively. I talked to my sister who works at one of the best hair salons in New Jersey – that’s where I got most of these product recommendations, so I know they’re the best – and she asked the stylists about it. Once Olaplex No. 3 repairs your hair – it won’t do much. Once you feel your hair health plateau, switch to the Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother. This will continue to build bonds while preventing damage and double as a styling product.

The Lakme L2 Instant Hair Conditioner

This is the best leave in conditioning treatment on the market. Like every product I recommend today, it has been clincally proven to work on all hair types. Out of all the products at the salon, the stylist recommended this above all others to my sister. 

It detangles your hair while enhancing shine and protecting the hair from future damage. I spray it through at my hair after I shower and towel dry it. I comb through – no hair fall out, no tangles. I truly have never used a product like this. 

The Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil 

This is my holy grail hair product. If you get one product on this list, get this one. I love a good argan oil when I straighten my hair, but this is not like other hair oils. It is a highly concentrated, ultra -lightweight repartative styling oil. It protects colors, fights frizz, provides heat protection, and prevents against damage. It triples as a great styling product, heat protectant and treatment. I use it on both damp and dry hair depending on what I’m doing. 

ACV Dphue Hair Rinse

If the shower your shower uses hard water, this is product a must. Even if you don’t, this product with gently clease and remove impurities and build up without stripping color or the natural oils that are essential to the health of your scalp. This will remove build up and encourage hair growth. This is great for hair health and overall growing out your hair.  

Briogeo Farewell Frizz Blow Dry Perfection & Heat Protect Creme

If you love an at home blow out as much as I do, you’ll love this product. This lightweight, silicone free heat-protectant cream minimizes frizz, smoothes hair, enhances shine, and gives the best blow outs. It prevents damage while allowing you to easily style your hair. 

Although some of these are pricey, these truly have saved my hair. I’ve tried so many different products with little to no results. I hope these help you on your journey to healthy hair. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.