ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Perks of Being Single During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s not a bad thing to be single during the holidays. There are even some perks to being a strong, independent woman during this time!

1. The perfect gift – it doesn’t exist

The time it takes to find that “perfect” gift for your guy or gal can be spent elsewhere. And even better, you won’t have to fake it if your significant other gets you something you absolutely hate. You won’t be disappointed and you won’t disappoint! That’s always a plus.

2. Treat Yourself

Being single means putting 100 percent of your energy into focusing on yourself. Take this time to yourself and turn it into a time of self-reflection. Although the holidays pose as a depressing and sad time for some people, turn the negatives into positives by buying yourself something worthwhile. Think… the money you may have saved for a significant others present you can use to treat yourself.

3. Catch up with family and friends

I look forward to going home over the holidays for many reasons. One of which is to spend the time with family and friends! If you’re single, you don’t have to split your time between their family and yours.

4. Relax

Most of us are going home for the holidays. It’s the perfect time to catch up on sleep and Netflix, mostly. Being single means you are not obligated to do anything or be anywhere. You can make plans with whomever and cancel at the last minute, because let’s face it, that Netflix binge-fest will never be over.

5. Enjoy the hell out of New Year’s Eve

Bringing in the New Year without the drunken drama with your significant other is a blessing in disguise. Being single on New Year’s Eve means you can kiss whoever the hell you want at midnight and ring in the New Year as a single lady!

If you’re feeling sad and lonely around this time of year, just remember that there are definite perks about being single and ready to mingle during the holiday season. Embrace it and live life to the fullest! 

I'm a twenty-year-old junior at the University of Scranton. I aspire to work in public relations after I graduate, as well as travel the world. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island.
Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?