This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

March marks the celebration of Women’s History Month, which honors the contributions women have made to society and culture throughout history.

Women’s History Month originates from a weeklong celebration that was established by the school district of Sonoma, California, in 1978. The idea of honoring women’s work spread across the country and in 1980, President Jimmy Carter declared March 8 National Women’s Day. Eventually, this celebration expanded to the entire month of March.

In honor of all the amazing women throughout history, we are listing five powerful women who have influenced Hollywood in a major way.

1. Emma Watson

At just 25 years old, Emma Watson has moved on from Hogwarts and is now one of the highest-paid actresses in the industry. Watson has launched the campaign “HeForShe”, which hopes to end gender inequality.

Following her college graduation from Brown University, Watson was named a United Nations Women’s Goodwill Ambassador.  On Nov. 20, 2014, she gave a speech at at the U. N. Headquarters in New York that later became an internet sensation. People were moved by Watson’s inspiring words about how men and women should be treated equally around the world.

“Ask yourself if not me, who? If not now, when?” – Emma Watson

2. Demi Lovato

Demi Lovato is no stranger to overcoming obstacles and coming back even stronger. After being extremely open and honest with fans about her struggles with bipolar disorder, self-harm and eating disorders, Lovato has been a beacon of hope for women of all ages. She empowers ladies by encouraging them to love their bodies, no matter what size and to always stay strong.

“What, I’m supposed to succumb to your ideal image of what thin is? No. I’m going to stand above that and I’m going to be who I am and be a role model for these girls.” – Demi Lovato

3. Jennifer Lawrence

The ‘Hunger Games’ star, who is known for her outgoing personality and frequent red carpet falls, has recently been in the news for her comments on the gender pay gap in Hollywood.

Lawrence caused a stir when she wrote about the topic in Lena Dunham’s newsletter, Lenny, back in October. She stated that she earned less money than her male costars in American Hustle. Lawrence said that she was afraid to negotiate her pay because she did not want to be perceived as “spoiled” or “difficult”. 

This major issue of the gender pay gap for all industries has been brought into the Hollywood spotlight thanks to Lawrence’s outspokenness.

“I’m over trying to find the ‘adorable’ way to state my opinion and still be likeable! F–k that.” – Jennifer Lawrence

4. Mindy Kaling

Funny, brilliant and beautiful, can you ask for more? Whether you’re watching her on “The Office” or on “The Mindy Project”, it’s impossible not to love Mindy Kaling.

This actress, comedian and writer has broken barriers in the entertainment industry for staying true to herself. Kaling reminds women that it’s okay to be goofy and stand out from the crowd.

“If you don’t see a clear path for what you want, sometimes you have to make one yourself.” – Mindy Kaling

5. Olivia Wilde

Actress Olivia Wilde understands the importance of giving back. After the devastating Haitian earthquake in 2010, Wilde partnered up with the nonprofit organization Artists for Peace and Justice to help provide health care and education to the people of Haiti.

“In my work in Haiti, I’ve seen the hugely positive effects that happen when people come together to build something in the middle of the most desperate situations.” –Olivia Wilde

In 2013, Wilde co-founded Conscious Commerce, which pairs cutting-edge retailers with charities around the world. Every time that someone buys a product from the retailers, a portion of that money goes directly to the charities.

Jess is a born and raised New Yorker who can never resist a cup of coffee or a sale. She is a senior at The University of Scranton pursing a degree in strategic communication with a focus in public relations, as well as a minor in management. Jess loves to spend her days galavanting across Manhattan, and is overly obsessed chicken cutlets, golden retrievers and Mark Wahlberg. She is so excited to be a member of the Her Campus Scranton family!
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_