This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Candy corn, apple cider, and the 31 nights of Halloween can only mean one thing: Fall has arrived. Each autumn season brings new trends- and new trends mean spending excessive amounts of money on pieces that are thrown to the back of our closets at the first snow fall. Before a horror movie hits your bank account, check out these five fall wardrobe essentials that never go out of style.

Open Cardigans

So easy. And super practical. You can layer an open cardigan practically over any shirt. Throwing on a cardigan before class is an easy way to keep some of your summer shirts in rotation during fall by layering. Dress up a graphic tee by adding a cardigan to it.

High Waisted Jeans

An absolute essential for Thanksgiving! Sophisticated, stylish, yet super comfy.

Plaid Skirt

Did Blair Waldorf invent plaid skirts?Maybe not, but after season one of Gossip Girl she made it known that plaid skirt season is always trending. 

Jean Jacket

Simply a go to for layering on campus. Whether its oversized, faded, or your mother’s jacket from the 80’s- denim surely never goes out of style. Pair your jean jacket with a mock neck sweater for a cute and chic class look.

Riding Boots

These are by far the most popular shoes for the fall (no equestrian lessons necessary). These boots are perfect with jeans, skirts, or even leggings. Plus, these boots last multiple years if taken care of properly!

Annalyn Pupke

Scranton '23

Hi!! My name is Annalyn and I am a freshman at the University of Scranton! I love Audrey Hepburn, baking, fashion, old movies, yoga, and all things 80s! In my free time you can usually find me with my nose in a book, trying a new fitness routine, perusing Pinterest for the newest trends, or eating Chick-fil-A fries in Denaples with my friends (with Chick-fil-A sauce of course). My favorite hobby of all is writing and I hope to publish a book by the time I'm 25! Happy reading!
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.