alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

11 Things All New Dog Owners Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

You have begged, pleaded and researched in the hopes of receiving a new puppy for a holiday, special occasion, or just because. Your parents finally say you can welcome an adorable best friend into your home and you begin to dream and plan to make it happen. Expectations and reality can quickly become intertwined and you begin to realize there will be some trials before your bond with your new pal will be solidified.

1. Planning:

Finally! Getting a dog is such a big responsibility but planning ahead to take care of the new edition to the family can help relieve stress and be exciting! The anticipation may be hard but they are well worth the wait. 

2. Obsession:

As soon as you see those big eyes and that wagging tail you’ll know you made the right decision! Immediate obsession and devotion to your new pup is the easiest way to tell that you have a new love in your life.Trying not to smother them in kisses and hugs 24/7 might be the hardest part of being their new parent.

3. New Responsibilities:

Remembering to walk, feed and care for your new dog may seem difficult in the beginning but pretty soon it becomes second nature. Together you will get on a new schedule and work through those difficulties together. Eventually, it’s like you are taking care of each other.

4. Peeing/ Pooping inside:

We all know the frustration of cleaning up after the dog does his/her business in the house but no one can stay mad at that sad puppy face for long! Discipline is important…. but so are cuddles.

5. Going for walks:

Getting dragged along by even the smallest dog is an inevitable part of walks, especially the first few times! They’re excited to go and you’re excited to keep up after them but those first couple of walks might be a lot of back and forth between the two of you. As soon as you each get on a routine and used to the neighborhood walks will be some of the best times for both of you.

6. Training them: 

Training them well and quickly is the best way to have a good time with your new pet. If you aren’t used to being a stickler, an obedience school or a professional trainer may be the way to go. One thing is for sure, lots and lots of treats for the “good boy.”

7. Constant Companion/ Attention Hog:

When you open up your laptop and settle in for a long night of studying just to be interrupted by a furball in your lap it can be difficult to concentrate. You want to shower them with scratches and cuddles but that ten page paper sadly won’t write itself. And forget about relieving yourself without an audience, maybe you can even potty train your new pal to save stress and trips around the block.

8. Begging for food:

As soon as you open a bag of chips or crack open the fridge door, there’s no doubt that your dog will be there ready to vacuum up any crumbs or spills. A set of eyes on you everytime you go for another bite of your food is to be expected and even welcomed at times. The tail-wagging and adorable eyes are sometimes impossible to ignore and you may cave and drop a thick, greasy slice of bacon for your new best friend. As some would say, everybody eats.  

9. Coming home to them:

When you open your front door and that little ball of fur comes flying at you ready to shower you with kisses and hugs, it will quickly become the highlight of your day. You look forward each day to turning the key and seeing your companion waiting to love you no matter what.

10. Sleeping together:

A sound sleep with no interruptions is suddenly a thing of the past and you now have a cuddle partner for life. Your dog is there through all the break-ups and celebrations and snuggling up next to your warm, furry friend at the end of the day makes all your troubles melt away.

11. Memories:  Memories are the ultimate reward that will last a lifetime thanks to your furry companion. Although you go through a lot of ups and downs, and there are many trials and errors, the bond that you share with your best friend will make it worthwhile!

Christiana’s Dog Teddy:

Brianna’s Dog Cooper:

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so