10 Ways to Shine Your Light in the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It seems as though today’s world is full of hatred and violence. It’s hard not to believe this as we watch the news in horror, seeing the riots happening in Baltimore and the chaos happening with regards to ISIS. Whatever your views may be on these subjects, the simple truth is that what’s happening is downright scary. With all of the sensationalized violence occurring throughout the media, it’s time that the world gains some peace and love. Here are a few ways for you to better our society:

1.) Volunteer.Whether you want spend a few hours helping out at your local nursing home or simply clean up around your own neighborhood, volunteering is a great way to generate happiness in your community.

2.) Be GenerousWeve all seen the Facebook stories about a waitress receiving a $1,000 tip on a $50 bill. Sure, maybe you cant afford to be that extravagant but paying for the stranger behind you in the drive-thru goes a long way.

3.) Smile.It may feel a little awkward but smiling at a complete stranger can seriously make that persons day. Plus, its always better to be perceived as approachable rather than miserable.

4.) Be patient.We live in such a fast-paced world that sometimes we get caught up in the whirlwind of it. Maybe that slow driver you got stuck behind on the highway is fresh out of their drivers test. Weve all been in a position of being helpless or new at something, so give the world the benefit of the doubt.

5.) Hold the door open.Waiting the five extra seconds to hold the door for the mother struggling with her stroller or the old woman who weighs less than the door is one seemingly small way to make someones day.

6.) Recycle.Caring about the planet is important. Sure, you may not have to worry about living the consequences of throwing away that plastic bottle but someday, someone will have to. Lets preserve the earth so that way our grandchildren can breathe some fresh air.

7.) Stand up for others.Weve all been in a situation of hearing our friends gossip about someone that they dont like. Instead of joining in, defend that person. Oh, that girl has greasy hair? Maybe her parents couldnt afford to pay the water bill this month. It goes a long way in helping others understand what struggle is.

8.) Disconnect from technology.It may seem crazy, but try putting your phone down when you are having a face-to-face conversation with someone. Make the other person feel more wanted and the interaction more meaningful by tucking your phone away. The person will feel like youre genuinely present and listening to what they have to say.

9.) Be educated.Striving to change the world is great but it is just a dream if you have no idea how to achieve it. Paying attention in class not only puts your money to good use, it gives you the knowledge to make a difference.

10.) Be loving.Everyone you encounter in life is going through a personal battle. By putting hate and judgment aside, you are able to connect with someone on a personal level and gain new perspective on not only that person, but also yourself.

It may seem silly to think that one person can make a difference in the world but it has to start with someone. Sure, maybe you can’t go out and fix all of the problems in society but by participating in small actions you are able to make the difference and set an example. A little kindness goes a long way today and you never know who you will inspire with your kind actions.

Emily is a Scranton native trying to make a name for herself. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Finance. When she's not goofing off with her friends or spending time with her family, there is a very big chance that she's binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Emily has a love-hate relationship with Moe's Southwest Grill and would probably eat chips and queso for every meal if it didn't mean that she'd have to work out afterwards. She loves being a part of Her Campus Scranton and can't wait to see what her future holds!
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_