This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Yeah, you read that title right. Rupaul’s Drag Race has become VH1’s saving grace with a new audience on the rise: young adult women. I’m definitely a member of this new demographic. Drag race is my favorite show on television. The show isn’t just a great reality show, it is overall amazing television. It serves drama, fashion, talent, and humor. It also touches on important topics that are on the darker side of the drag like LGBTQ+ including HIV/AIDS, eating disorders, and even all of the hate they get online and in person for being who they are. These queens are such important and powerful figures that are currently on the rise in our culture. They are some of my biggest role models among many other young women, primarily due to how loud and proud they are of themselves. That’s something most of us aspire to be, yet can’t quite find our way to accomplish it. 

Why are young women so fascinated by these drag queens? Well, for years now drag show audiences have been embedded with bachelorette parties and tipsy young women looking to have a fun time. Several queens love to mock the behavior of these women at these shows, yet they are also incredibly thankful because they wouldn’t be doing drag if it weren’t for them. I believe that this phenomena is due to the fact that drag queens live the full female fantasy, celebrating femininity in any way they can.  Why wouldn’t women love that? I personally love drag queens because they are some of the most passionate performers and fashionistas I’ve ever seen. I study Performing Arts here at SCAD and I am constantly inspired by the energy and passion that drag queens bring to the stage. I hope that I can bring just as many of those qualities to my performances. 

The show gives a lot of insight into what life is like for these unique individuals. In season 9, there was a common theme with discussing eating disorders among the contestants. They related to each other even though there were different types of eating disorders in the group. A very common topic discussed in drag culture is LGBTQ+ rights and how they are treated in society. Rupaul has always stood up for this community throughout her career. Her contestants follow in her footsteps and very often play big roles in Gay Pride and protesting. Not only do these ladies know how to turn up the party, they also know to stand for what they believe in and let their voice be heard. 

Drag queens have been getting way more mainstream media attention just within the past year. Last year, two previous contestants on the show, Trixie Mattel and Katya Zamalodchikova now have their own show on Viceland called The Trixie & Katya Show. Trixie Mattel has also been striking success as she stars on the newest season of Rupaul’s Drag Race: All Stars 3 and her folk music, which has risen to the top of the Singer/Songwriter charts. Meanwhile, previous drag race contestant Courtney Act just won Big Brother U.K. Yet another Drag Race alumni, Peppermint, is going to be starring in a Broadway show. Drag has hit the public eye and it is stronger than ever, especially in the current political climate.

If you are looking for a feel-good show with plenty of twists, turns, and performances for the gods, Rupaul’s Drag Race is the show for you. No matter who you are or what your background is, I think everyone can find this show very entertaining and worth their time as long as they keep an open mind (and an open Google search in case you don’t know all of the drag queen slang). 

Make sure to tune into Rupaul’s Drag Race: All Stars 3 now online at VH1.com or every Thursday at 8 pm central time.