This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

I adopted my first cat when I was a sophomore in high school. She was a skinny tuxedo cat with the biggest yellow-orange eyes. She was quiet and skittish, so when I told my mom she was the one, she asked, “Are you sure?” I was. And I’m glad I was because after so many years of having her, she has blossomed into a sweet, sassy and pretty fat cat.

I’ve watched family members receive amazing additions to their families through local pet adoptions and I’m always happy when do. Adoption is great, and not just for you when you pick up a new furry friend. There are actually tons of ways that adoption is an amazing option for many, but I’ll just stick to giving you a few.

1. You save a life!

It’s a special thing to be able to give an animal a second chance. As much as you need them, these pets need you right back. Animals in shelters have often been lost, given up or abandoned. And in many cases across the country, many pets are euthanized because there’s too many in the shelter and too few people adopting. By adopting a pet, you’re giving an animal a loving home that really needs it.

2. You help to stop puppy/kitten mills!

Puppy/kitten mills are facilities run that repeatedly impregnate female dogs and cats forcing them to produce litter after litter, often living their whole lives in cages. Throughout the country, there are thousands of puppy mills that produce millions of animals for sales in pet stores. Often times people don’t realize they are adopting an animal from a puppy mill, as they use deceptive tactics to stay in business. When you adopt from a shelter, you can be certain that you aren’t giving these horrible businesses a dime of your money.

3. It costs you less!

Usually when you adopt the pet, they often times come spayed/neutered, with first vaccinations (and sometimes even microchipped!). Since those are included in the adoption price, it saves you some of the upfront costs of adding a new member. And with the influx of cats especially in Savannah, you can adopt some cats for a very low cost.

4. Because getting an adoption animal is good for your health!

Animals are amazing, not just because of the unconditional they give, but they also have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally and physically beneficial to companions. Pets can help improve moods and mental illnesses, lessen feelings of loneliness and provide a sense of purpose as you care for them. And when you adopt an animal from a shelter, you feel extra good knowing you helped an animal in need.

5. You’ll be getting an incredible pet!

Some people have this idea that shelter pets may be mean, or that they’re “broken”, just because they’re from a shelter. That couldn’t be further from the truth! Shelter animals are happy, healthy and just waiting for someone to take them home. Often times animals end up in shelters because of human problems (divorces or moving), not because the animals did something wrong. And not only would you be getting an incredible pet, but you’ll be changing a homeless animal’s world and gaining a new best friend. What’s better than that?

If you want to take a peek at some of the animals for adoption in Savannah, I recommend looking up the Humane Society for Greater Savannah, One Love Animal Rescue, and Coastal Pet Rescue. Be careful though: there’s a high chance you’ll fall in love with one of the animals!

Carly Shaw is a Junior at the Savannah Campus of Art and Design, majoring in Writing and minoring in Creative Writing and Fashion Journalism. As much as she loves to write, she also loves to spend time shopping, baking and wandering the charming city of Savannah. If her dreams of becoming a fashion journalist or a fictional novelist don't pan out, opening up her own bakery with her brother will be the next thing she does.