Why Everyone Needs to See La La Land

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Okay, first off, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in one movie. How much better can it get?

Picture Credit to movieweb.com

La La Land was exceptionally good! The movie has the most beautiful story line and highlighted so many important issues in the world of the arts. Whether you are in an art related field or not, this movie is an eyeopener. I highly encourage everyone to go see it!

So let me paint the picture of the movie for you (no spoilers of course)! The film is set in Los Angeles and is a musical. As one who does not like musicals, I was a little turned off by the movie when they started singing. So if you don’t like musicals, hear me out. Sebastian, played by Ryan Gosling, and Mia, played by Emma Stone, are struggling artists trying to make their mark on the world, just like any other artist. Sebastian is a pianist with a heavy focus in jazz and Mia is an aspiring actress that loves to sing and dance. The singing in the movie did not bother me much at all because they both have their foot in the music and theater industries, so it goes along with the whole concept of the movie. Mia and Sebastian have a love interest with each other, which develops the whole plot of the movie. The plot of the movie was unpredictable and threw my mind all over the place! I don’t want to give anything away, but just know that it is pure perfection.

Picture Credit to consequenceofsound.net

Okay so the most important part. The theme! The theme of this movie is just genius. Finally having a movie about artists in their struggling world, was just the most inspiring thing to watch. You would think that this theme would have been portrayed in a big film like this by now, especially since film is part of the arts. That has never happened though, so this film was ground breaking! La La Land really puts a lot of depth into how cut throat the industry is right from the start of the movie with the opening song. As an artist at SCAD, I for one can vouch for how difficult the art world is, and I am just a freshman. This movie finally raises awareness for it! Going to an art school is something to be proud of, but people do not make it feel that way. I have had people say to me, “Oh you are going to art school? Do you plan on doing nothing with your life?” This movie proves them wrong, and finally shows that we are doing something with our lives and we have to work our butts off to make it in this world. By showing the struggling lives of Sebastian and Mia, I think people will finally understand what every artist is going through, whether they are a musician or fashion designer. La La Land shows that you have to network everyday, constantly practice in your field, and put your heart into everything that you do to get anywhere in this industry. 

Picture Credits to http://showbiz.liputan6.com/

La La Land not only gives an amazing message to all of the non-artists of the world, but it also inspires any artist that watches it.The movie is telling us to keep going and to never stop!

So, to my fellow artists, you will get far and you are doing amazing things with your life! Never stop working and do not let anyone push you down! 

Go see this movie though, no matter what! It is an incredible film and conveys such a beautiful message that is often not said.

$ Shopping Addict $