When Growing Up Means Dealing with Bullies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

In the ever continuing chronicals of fat girl takes over the world, I have encountered my first cyberbully in the form of a 21-year-old man child.

Being bigger has never defined me. Being who I am has never come hard. Sure, I have had some mean comments whispered behind my back, but nothing quite as bad as I’m dealing with now. There is a guy on ok cupid who has been taunting me and harassing me about something I put in my about me. Because of the creeps and awful messages that have come my direction on ok cupid, I decided to put a warning saying if they were looking for casual sex to move right along because I do not participate in that. It has really cut down on the weird messages so I have kept it for some time now. Tonight, as I tried to put together what I wanted to write about, this random person who has never seen me in real life or met me before decided to comment on my apperance. The message was vile and mean.

Usually, things like that role off of me like it is nothing. This time, though, I cried. Hard. Like, ugly crying hall of fame worthy. Why? Why did this stupid 21 year old idiot who’s shirtless and holding a fish in his hand feel the need to be so nasty to a person they have never met? Why do people at all feel the need to be so mean to one another? It made me think a lot after the crying. Why did this person who I never met before just decide that they had a burning need to tell me that I was ugly and lying to myself? 

Well, honestly because people usually do not have anything else better to do. The internet is a place for bullies. We have seen it so many times before. Cyberbullying causes death to 10-year-old child. I thought that bullies only existed inside the realm of middle and high school. I thought once I got to college that everyone around me would just grow up and get over themselves. Apparently, that is not the case. I want to see the good in people, but at the same time I want to throw this stupid idiot against a wall and beat the crap out of him. I guess that even when we grow up, the stupid follows us everywhere. 

This whole situation did make me think about the things that come out of my mouth though. I am known to be a bit judgemental. I am known to be a bit mean. To have someone be so awful to me makes me think about the things that I say about other people. We all should be think twice about what we chose to let come out of our mouth. Because sometimes, when things come out, it makes the person who we talk about ugly cry at 2 AM.

Hi, my name is Meghann and I'm a sophomore at SCAD. I am originally from Huntsville, Alabama, and I'm pursuing a degree in Motion Media Design with a minor in Game Design. I am a huge nerd and I live for netflix marathons, crafts, and dishing the latest news about things available to SCAD students (especially free things!) I am so looking forward to working on the Her Campus: SCAD team!