What is Inktober? And why you should participate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

October is here! For a lot of people that means cooler weather, flannels and sweaters, pumpkin spice flavored food, and looking forward to Halloween at the end of the month. But for some people, October is the month to draw, and it’s referred to as ‘Inktober’. The concept of Inktober is pretty simple. Started by Jake Parker, he was looking for a way to push himself to draw more, and came up with the idea of Inktober. For everyday of the month of October, you are given a prompt (people often come up with their own), and with you imagination, a sketchbook, and ink pens (other art supplies are encouraged), you draw the prompt that you are given, and share with other. Here at SCAD, sketchbook work is highly encouraged. All across Savannah, you will see SCAD students, both freshmen and upperclassmen, drawing what they see out in public.  Several students will carry their art supplies with them wherever they go. Many foundation studies professors assign sketch book homework to freshmen students, and professors in major departments, such as Sequential, Animation, or Fashion, assign sketchbook homework.

As a Jewelry major, it is extremely common for a student to do 100 jewelry sketches within a week. I sat down with SCAD drawing Professor John Rise, one of the several professors who encourages sketchbook work, and asked him what his thoughts were on Inktober, and how you can encourage yourself. When I asked Rise on why he, along with other professors, encourages sketchbook work, his reply was ‘To have them develop a daily habit of drawing. Developing a sketchbook habit will give you a bank of ideas and idea development.’ When I asked Rise for advice on how someone can keep themselves motivated to draw everyday, he told me the Dale Carneigie quote ‘Act enthusiastic and you will be enthusiastic’. Inktober isn’t just for artists in the creative field trying it increase their talent. Inktober is for everyone. ‘Everything in our man-made environment starts with a drawing.’ said Rise. When it comes to drawing, you do not get magically get better over night. Everyone starts at the same level once they begin drawing. And while many people become tired of the cliche answer that practice will make you better, it is true. ‘Practice makes Perfect.’ said Rise when I asked him on how someone can increase their art skills. ‘Develop a habit, make it a habit, force yourself when necessary when it comes to drawing in a sketchbook. Practice. Repeat.  Do a drawing several times.  Look at other artists.’ he said.

Artist block happens with any artist. We have the faced issue when we have our pens in our hand, a blank sketchbook in front of us, and it will remain empty for a long time. Inktober prompts are there to help people discover their creativity and let their imagination run wild. “If you do not have inspiration then you must seek it out – observe your surroundings – look at other artists’ work.” said Rise on how can someone conquer artist block “If someone has little motivation, or has not developed their drawings skills, Then doodle or scribble; exercise your brain and your hands by doodling and scribbling. So while you are planning your Halloween costume, and looking at pumpkin spice recipes, don’t forget to break out your ink pens and sketch book, and to draw!

Image source: Citizensketcher.com

Schuyler Cannon is from Birmingham, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Jewelry. A lover of cats,sushi,ice cream,smiles,and art.