Trending: Vamped Up Black and White

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

With all of the latest fashion trends going in and out, it’s important to have some classic staples to go to for any time of the year. Black and white looks are such a classic style, yet there are so many ways to experiment with this color palette. With the help of some fabulous models and an extremely talented photographer, we put together some classic black and white looks with a modern twist.

Look #1: “Tough Love”

Pairing delicate, more feminine pieces with rough, dark accents is always such an eye-catching combination. We took this sweet flare dress from H&M and added the tough leather jacket from Bar III to create a really bold contrast. The shoes, which were from Dolce Vita, tie in the leather from the jacket and add a bit of interest with the two tone accents. 

Look #2: “Prep Punk”

Adding in a rich accent color can really spice up the crisp black and white quite nicely. This cropped collared blouse from Forever 21 complimented the sleekness of the leather skirt from Abercrombie and Fitch so well. Pair that “school girl” chic look with burgundy knee highs and a gorgeous Kate Spade bag, and you’ve got yourself a head-turning ensemble! 

Look #3: “Sexy and Sleek”

Trying to find a way to add life to your LBD? Add a touch of fun with bold tights and head-turning heels. This chic dress from Express is great on its own for more formal events, but adding spunky accessories to it gives a whole new light. 

Look #4: “Flirty Cutouts”

Geometric shapes are all the craze right now, and adding this print to a sweet skater skirt adds a nice sense of contrast. The classic white crop top, from American Aparrel, got an upgrade with it’s off the shoulder sleeves, which adds a bit more charm to this look. Add a pair of classic black wedges, and you are all set for a night on the town! 

Look #5: “Stripes and Slits”

This dress is one of my personal favorites. H&M took the average maxi dress and seriously revamped it! Both sides feature a sleek slit with a transparent overlay, and a black pencil skirt underneath. The sleek stripes and sexy heels from Michael Kors really tied this outfit together.

Look #6: “Actively Bold”

Sometimes, you just need an outfit that will turn heads, but also will keep up with a hectic day. Upgrade your standard leggings with this textured pair from Abercrombie and Fitch, as well as a graphic crop top from H&M. Leather booties and a jean jacket will class up this active look, and transitions easily from errands to night life! 

Although many would say that a monochrome palette is boring and lifeless, I think it’s safe to say that there is so much you can do with it! From running errands to a night on the town, the possiblities are endless. A huge thank you to my beautiful models: Alexa Baran and Marissa Kruep, as well as my incrediblely gifted photographer: Brittany Leckrone for their help in this shoot! Make sure to comment and share your favorite “black and white” looks. 

Amy Kulp is a Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is either working on her own styling business, shopping, or performing in theatre productions. When she graduates, she plans on moving to New York City and working either as a personal stylist or as a creative director with one of the many fashion houses New York has to offer.