Starstruck at Film Fest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

As most of you know, this past week was the infamous Savannah Film Festival. Broughton St was filled with students, visitors, and celebrities, all to see some of the most amazing films of 2015. I was one of the lucky few to snag a Media Pass for the event, which scores you all some exclusive interviews from the directors and actors themselves! From Catherine Hardwicke (director of Miss You Already and Twilight), to Olivia Wilde (actress in Meadowland), the festival was star studded, and they had some very inspiring words for all of the aspiring film makers and actors alike. I had the opportunity to speak directly to some of the amazing directors after their screenings, and here is what they wanted their viewers to know about their films and experiences in production.

Her Campus: What do you want viewers to take away from this film?

Alison Owen (Producer of Suffragette): “I want [viewers] to feel empowered, and I want them to feel angry and want to change things”

Her Campus: Why did you choose the specific actresses that you did for this film?

Sarah Gavron (Director of Suffragette): “Well I felt that Carey was someone who, I just love her- and she really inhabits the role and is very truthful. She really can just carry a film like this. And then we wanted women around her that had very different qualities. So, you know, you never see Helena Bonham Carter [and Meryl Streep together]. Sometimes you see certain actors with each other, and we wanted actors together that you normally don’t see with each other, because this movement brought together women from across different backgrounds, different classes, and it felt good to do that.”

Her Campus: What inspired you to do this movie right now, at this time?

Catherine Hardwicke (Director of Miss You Already and Twilight)- “Well, because I just read this script and it drew me in, and I think a lot of people go through [tragedies] like this with their friends where it’s getting tough and you gotta hang in there with your friend even if they’re turning into a jerk or going through a tough time. So I found it to be a universal story that people could relate to. And I’ve had friends go through things like this, and relatives, my dad [as well].”

HC: What do you want viewers to take away from this film?

Catherine Hardwicke- Well I love it when people come out and tell me that they called their best friend and said “Let’s go do something fun” or “Let’s go on a road trip” or they made up with their friend. You know, one guy came out and he goes “Listen man, I buried the hatchet” and all that, you know? So that’s kind of cool. So I hope it helps people appreciate life.”

Both of these films were absolutely phenomenal. Suffragette completely blew my mind; I personally had no idea what these women went through for our freedom today. Not to mention that this star studded cast was so authentic and truthful. This movie actually made some headlines on its own as well, as it was the first film ever to be filmed in the Parliament. And Miss You Already was such a perfect balance of hard reality and quirky humor. Starring Drew Barrymore and Toni Collette, this film follows two childhood best friends dealing with tragedy, new experiences, and adjusting to the inevitable. There was never a dull moment throughout the whole movie, and Hardwicke’s creative mind brought a new intimacy to the movie, featuring shots filmed on an iPhone. I think it is safe to say that Film Fest 2015 was a huge success, and I personally can’t wait for next year.

Amy Kulp is a Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is either working on her own styling business, shopping, or performing in theatre productions. When she graduates, she plans on moving to New York City and working either as a personal stylist or as a creative director with one of the many fashion houses New York has to offer.