SCAD’s Fashion Professor Sandra Davidson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

This week, I had the pleasure of interviewing Sandra Davidson, a Fashion Professor at SCAD Savannah College of Art and Design. She is one the most influential people I have met at SCAD thus far. I  have had 4 classes with her since my freshmen year,  and have learned so much from her through her experience and teachings. I decided to do this interview with her because I realized I have had at least 1 class with her every year and there is so much more I did not know about her. I decided to ask her a couple questions that me and other fellow students would like to know!

Her Campus: How was your time at Lilly?

Sandi: My time at Lilly was amazing.  I started as Design Director in 1998 and was promoted first to VP of Design in 2001 and ultimately VP/Creative Director in 2003 due to my expanding role as brand visionary.  In the role of Creative Director, I was not only responsible for product but for marketing and retail design as well.  It was a tremendous opportunity.

Her Campus: What made you want to teach?

Sandi: I retired to Florida in 2009 after leaving Lilly Pulitzer for the second time.  While the idea of retirement appealed to me at first, I absolutely went bonkers being so bored most of the time.  I needed something to do.  I first tried my hand at real estate, and quickly discovered, that even though I was a wiz at marketing and ranked highest realtor in my area, I was absolutely horrible at selling.  I really just enjoyed looking at houses.  So…I answered an advertisement for a teaching position at SCAD on a whim, never really think I could possibly be qualified.  I’d also never been to Savannah, but I was sure I would love it…and I was right.  Imagine my surprise when I was offered the job.  I was thrilled.  It’s been terrific being able to translate my decades of design experience into a career. I love helping talented students develop skills that will help them start their careers in fashion.

Her Campus: Why did you pick SCAD?

Sandi: I imagined I would really love it to be honest.  As a person who did a lot of hiring, I’d had the opportunity to hire SCAD graduates.  I knew the reputation of the school was growing, and I liked the idea that SCAD is an art school, not an industry school like my Alma Mater FIT.  I had the opportunity to attend school in the UK as a student and I imagined SCAD would be more like that, stressing the creative process of design.  I also imagined that SCAD, being smaller than FIT or Parsons, would value creativity and have more of an entrepreneurial spirit.  I was right on all counts.

Her Campus: What was the favorite class you have taught?

Sandi: That is hard to say.  I’m somewhat of a generalist, but I did start my career as a sweater designer.  I’ll always have a soft spot for that.  In that respect, I do love teaching the knitwear elective, though I would have to say the decorative surface elective ranks right up there.

I hope that you have enjoyed this interview as much as me. Next time you see her in the halls or have a question to ask about the fashion industry, dont be afraid to ask.