Say Bye Bye Bye To Toxic Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

image courtesy of picslyrics.net

If you are in a bad relationship, sometimes it can be hard to see the signs of toxicity. Or if you do see signs, you ignore them because you want to hold on to the other person. It can be hard to let go, but if your relationship is toxic, you must. No one wants to start over or be alone, but toxic relationships don’t benefit anyone and can negatively impact both parties. Just say bye bye bye. If NSync can say it, so can you!

image courtesy of quickmeme.com

What is a toxic relationship?

A toxic relationship can take place between friends, family members, or lovers. A relationship becomes toxic when one person and/or the other person isn’t benefitting from being with each other. If being alone would be more beneficial than being with someone else, then that is a sign. If one or both people in the relationship are being mentally, emotionally, or physically drained then it’s time to move on. Love is a partnership where both parties support as well as emotionally and mentally uplift each other. If you feel like the love is conditional or one sided then that is not healthy. Even if you don’t clearly see signs, you will feel the difference in yourself. Don’t ignore your intuition because that’s what it’s there for.  

image courtesy of imgflip.com

Why say bye to a toxic relationship?

Why not? Toxic relationships don’t just affect that specific relationship. They affect all aspects of your life.They even affect others around you both. Depending on how toxic the relationship is, your progression in life can be stunted. Advancing in a healthy manner can not occur when you are dealing with unhealthy situations. Many toxic relationships have some form of abuse, whether it’s mental, emotional, or physical. This draining aspect can lead to depression and anxiety. Many people in toxic relationships don’t even realize the source of their unhappiness is the relationship that they are trying to force.  

image courtesy of memecreator.com

Don’t block your blessings!

While you are holding on to that unhealthy relationship, you are missing out on a healthy one. You are blocking the path for a great guy/girl, friend, or family member to come and brighten up your life. You are blocking your path to happiness. Basically, you are self-sabotaging. Get rid of the toxicity in your life and start fresh. Get to know yourself, chase your career goals, focus on school, or even get back out there and date so you see what you truly deserve. Just say bye, bye, bye! I promise, you’ll be glad that you did.

Shatika McCullough is an advertising major at the Savannah College of Art & Design with a concentration in copywriting. She's a lover of writing, civil rights, poetry, art, paranormal romance books (NOT TWILIGHT!), fashion, anything dealing with the 90's, Motown, and the Hulk (all comics in general honestly). You can follow her @thefunkyabstract on IG.