Raindrops on Roses, and Whiskers on Kittens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

The past few weeks here at SCAD have been unbelievably busy. With the final projects piling up, and the end of the quarter in sight, it’s easy to put looking cute on the back burner. We all occasionally suffer from the classic “I Have Nothing To Wear” syndrome. Whenever I feel like I’m in a bit of a style slump, however, I heed Julie Andrew’s infallible advice. She sings, “I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don’t feel so bad.”

Seeking Love. Finding Overalls. by Leandra Medine: I just finished this book a few days ago, and I encourage every fashionista to pick up a copy! Medine tells it like it is on all things fashion and fabulous, and she wittily recounts how her clothing choices effected some of her major moments in life.

Red lipstick: Some of my friends have dubbed me “The Girl with the Red Lipstick.” This particular shade is by CoverGirl, and lasts from my 8:00 fibers class all the way through late night study sessions.

Antique George Washington brooch: Being the history nerd that I am, I fell in love with this brooch in a matter of seconds.  I begged my mom to let me have this piece from her vintage jewelry collection for years before she relented, and passed it on to me. It looks great pinned on anything from a chunky cardigan to a sleek blazer, and always gets people talking when they see it.

Psychedelic Sunnies: I found these sunglasses in a Goodwill back home, and snapped them up immediately. They instantly give any outfit a groovy vibe, and are a funky way to stand out in a sea of aviators and wayfarers.

Citizen watch: This watch belonged to my Papa Jim. The luxe alligator band and gold face always make me feel sophisticated, and are a sweet reminder of my grandpa.

Yellow medallion necklace: This necklace is from Minx, a quirky, hip boutique in Ashville, North Carolina. A trip to Minx is always a must whenever I’m in that neck of the woods, and this necklace is, by far, one of my favorite items I’ve scored from there. I can throw it on to dress up a basic white tee, or pair it with a LBD for a unique going-out look.

The Beaded Clutch: This. Clutch. What more can I say, really? Fortune’s favor was smiling down on me the day I uncovered this gem in the bottom of a clearance bin in Anthropologie.

The next time you’re in a rut and need some inspiration, take a look back at some of your favorite pieces or trinkets. Whether it’s a fun, printed scarf or your trusty ankle boots, finding new ways to style your go-to staples can rejuvenate your wardrobe. 

Designer, cat lover, and lipstick enthusiast. SCAD class of 2016. Fibers major. mynameisolivia.com