This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

You ever have those days when nothing feels quite right? You can’t really place it. Something just feels off. For me it materializes in the overwhelming urge to do absolutely nothing. And it always seems that those days tend to happen when I have an insane amount of work due the next day. It’s all a bit discouraging. But being able to recognize when you’re having an off day is the first step in working past it.

image c/o Pinterest

One of the cool things about going to an art school is that making art is part of your daily life. But sometimes, assignments can get frustrating and you don’t want any part of it. But if you’re feeling off or sad or stressed, art can be a form of therapy. I’ve found that just taking a break and mixing paints or doodling in a sketchbook can be extremely calming and a fun way you can empty your mind. After an hour you’ll probably feel better and you’ll have a new piece of art also.

image c/o Veronica Germano

A lot of times the best way of breaking away from the “I don’t want to do anything” mindset is to leave the comfort of your dorm since you are dangerously close to a bed. I find that the best thing for me to increase my productivity is to take my work to a coffee shop. It’s almost like an alternate reality where time stops just enough for you to finish both your assignment and that iced chai latte you’re a little too obsessed with. Some of my personal favorites in Savannah are Foxy Loxy, Gallery Espresso, Blends, the Foundery, and Butterhead Greens.

image c/o Pinterest

When you exercise, your body releases endorphins which interact with receptors in your brain, making you feel good. So if you do at least one thing on an off day, it should be some type of exercise whether it’s running, yoga, riding a bike, or just going for a walk outside. The activity and break in routine will be beneficial in the long run. After exercise people tend to feel more productive and report sleeping better at night, which can help you wake up feeling ready to work the next day and catch up from your day off.

image c/o Urban Outfitters

All this being said, you are the one best attuned to your body and mental state. And sometimes the most appealing thing to do is to do absolutely nothing, step away from your responsibilities for a couple hours, and just take a power nap. There’s nothing like giving your brain a break from the school-weeks’ worth of stress before jumping into your assignments for the weekend. Stepping away from a project can help prevent tunnel-vision and you’ll probably wake up feeling better and more motivated than when you fell asleep.