Out with the Frizz, in with the Ringlets!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Having curly hair can be a blessing and a curse. You never know if you’ll wake up with wonderful tight curls from the night before or wake up in a frizzy mess, like you, I have struggled with my curly locks. 

All through middle school and high school I would straighten it every day, and if you know anything about hair you know that this is hands down the worst thing you can do! And I was wondering why my curls were so frizzy. Then I went on an all-natural hair journey; I tossed my hair straighter to the side and embarrassed my locks! It’s the best thing I’ve ever done for my hair and my hair thanks me by being silky, smooth, and frizz-less! Now don’t get me wrong, this didn’t happen overnight; I went through countless products and “hacks” before I found the ones that fit my texture of hair! But once I did, I never changed it up. So if you are having trouble taming your curls and would like to hear about the hacks and products that work for me; toss those hot tools to the side and keep reading!

1. First things first, you should know that the products and hacks that work for me and others may not work for you, keep that in mind when picking and choosing the products and hacks to use on your hair. With that being said, the first thing you need to know is what curl type fits you the best. Below is a chart that goes from 2a curls which are loose wavy hair, all the way to 4c, which are kinky ringlets. For me, I’m in between 2c and 3a.

2. Secondly, throw away your hairbrushes and stick to combs. Brushes on dry curls are guaranteed to loosen your curls and add a LOT of frizz. Stick to a detangling wide tooth comb and use it only in the shower on conditioned hair. That way it will detangle your curls as well as distribute the conditioner evenly through your hair.

3. Ditch towel drying and use a cotton tshirt! This tip is amazing if you find you have extra frizz. The soft tshirt with give less friction on your hair, thus creating less frizz!

4. Coconut oil is your best friend. Coconut oil is the jack of all trades if you ask me. It’s especially great for adding moisture to dry hair, and curly hair is known to be very dry! Make sure to use coconut oil generously through your hair to create a moisturizing natural hair mask. Leave it in overnight for extra hydration! I swear by this technique!

5.  Since curly hair gets very dry, don’t over wash it, using shampoo with sulfates and other chemicals will strip your curls of its natural moisture which dries out your curls. Stick to washing your hair every 3-4 days.

6. Last but not least, play around with different products, if you try a product that does disastrous things to your hair, ditch it and try something different! This could pertain to mousses, gel, shampoos or conditioners. For some people, like me, gel works better than mousse because gel has a longer and better hold than mousse. And try to stick to all natural products! They are much healthier for all hair types. 

Hey I'm Maddie! I'm Fashion Marketing and Management and Photography student at SCAD!