This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Like many teenagers in Middle School and High School, having my first kiss was super important to me. I imagined it to be like how it was in the movies. This magical moment, where fireworks would go off and sparks would fly. 

Source: tumblr.com

I waited for the day that I would meet my “Prince Charming”, who would sweep me off my feet, and passionately kiss me. 

But I did not meet my “Prince Charming” in Middle School. Or even High School. I left High School as a “lip virgin”, as I like to call it. 

I was 18 years old, and had never kissed anyone. 

I would ask myself, “Why don’t boys like me? Is there something wrong with me?” 

Whenever my friends and I would sit around at slumber parties, and share our first kiss stories, I would anxiously wait for someone to ask me. Ashamed and embarrassed, I would tell them that I had never kissed anyone. 

Some of them would say, “Aww I’m so sorry to hear that!”, as if my dog had just died. Others would say, “That’s surprising because you’re so pretty!”

But most of them would say, “Don’t worry, it will happen when it’s meant to.”

I wanted to believe that, but the older I got, the more hopeless I became. 

I placed so much importance, and measured my self-worth, by how many people I shared saliva with. When I did finally have my first kiss, I realized this way of thinking was completely nuts. 

Let’s get something straight: First kisses are not that exciting. In fact, most of the time, they suck. 

As proof for this article, I asked my friends to share their first kiss stories with me: 

Lexi: “My first kiss was super awkward with this guy in a movie theater when I was 14. He had asked to kiss me, and I said yes, but I didn’t turn towards him. I just continued watching the movie, so he had to turn my head towards him because I wouldn’t move.”

Anna: “When I was 13 years old, I was on a date with a boy at the park. We climbed down to the creek, and sat next to each other holding hands. Suddenly, he began using his slug tongue to kiss me. I didn’t know any better at the time, so I thought it was great. But in reality, it was gross! The moral is that pre-pubescent kids don’t know how to make out.”

Kate: “Mine was after a date. He was walking me up the stairs to my front door, and said, ‘I had a dream last night.’ I asked, ‘Oh really, what was it?’.  With a horrible eyebrow quirk, he replied in serious manner, ‘It’s better if I show you.” Then he kissed me, and it was super awkward. He was way too tall, and I couldn’t reach.”

René: “My first kiss was when I was 16 with a good friend, by the water fountain in the band hallway. It wasn’t bad, but all of my friends were watching, which was weird. The funny part was that we didn’t really like each other. He offered to be my first kiss, so I could get it over with. I just didn’t want my first kiss to be on stage during a school play, and I had decided at that point that I was doomed to be single forever.”

Unlike my friends, I didn’t have my first kiss until I was 19. 

The guy I was dating at the time and I were cuddling on my couch, watching a movie. “Man On Fire” starring Denzel Washington, to be exact (not a very romantic movie). All of a sudden, I felt him tuck my hair behind my ear. Knowing what was in store, my heart began to beat fast. “This was the moment,” I thought to myself. Everything felt like it was moving in slow motion. I almost felt nauseous with anticipation. 

After missing his lips entirely and accidentally kissing his chin, it happened. 

You know what my initial thoughts were? 

“THAT WAS IT? I waited 19 years for THAT?!” 

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a bad kiss, but fireworks didn’t go off, sparks didn’t fly, and he didn’t sweep me off my feet. It wasn’t that romantic. It just was what it was. 

That being said, don’t stress so much about your first kiss. 

Most first kisses are not all they’re cracked up to be. 

There’s no definitive age that you HAVE to have your first kiss. 

Don’t let anyone, especially a boy, make you feel bad for not having your first kiss yet. Your “Prince Charming” isn’t going to care whether you’ve been kissed or not. 

Just be patient, it will happen when it’s meant to happen.  And when it does come, enjoy it, and all the kisses to come after it. 

Source: tumblr.com

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.