Meet the Queers and Allies of SCAD… The best people you’ll ever know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

The Savannah College of Art and Design is like many colleges and university, you’re free to be who you are and become the person you’re meant to be. SCAD’s Queers and Allies club is for all members of the LGBTQIA spectrum that focuses on education, support, social activities and fun. I was given the pleasure of talking with Ryan Workman the Vice President of Queers and Allies.

How did you hear about Queers and Allies when first coming to SCAD?

I attended SCAD’s Fall Fest, where there was a Q & A for Queers and Allies.

What made you lean towards being the Vice President, as well as a leader, of Queers and Allies?

First I became a mentor in Queers and Allies because I had, and still have, a desire to give back to the club that helped me in so many ways. From there I was elected as V.P. With the title, I am now in charge of the mentor program as well as learn the role of the president.

How do you think the group effects SCAD’s student body?

I think we have a very large impact on our schools student body. People don’t always realize how many members we have. Each member either attends because they have questions, need support, or to help others. It’s an amazing way for queer students to not just learn, educate, and get advice but also for students to be around others who understand them and their situation. 

At the Queers and Allies meetings, you have a topic you discus each week. What some common topic choices?

We try to tackle issues within the LGBTQIA, or queer, world; from meeting people to transsexual rights. We try not only to keep everyone included, but also make sure everyone is well rounded in the educated of the LGBTQIA community.

Your group has some great activates held for your members, can you tell me more about them?

Often we like to have game nights and other fun social nights where we can get more comfortable with each other. We also have a Thanksgayving, Gay Valentines night, field days, and our major activities—Gay Prom and the Gender Bender Ball. 

Queers and Allies is a great group that is open to all, do you have any advice for students who might be afraid to come to the meetings.

Don’t have any hesitations about Queers and Allies. We work hard to make an awesome and comfortable environment for all our members and we really focus on education and support but also have a fun time!

If you have any questions about Queers and Allies or the LGBTQIA community, please contact Ryan at Rworkm20@gmail.com

If you’re interested in going to a meeting, they’re held Thursdays at 9pm in the Boundary Common Room!

“We work harder and harder every quarter to create an amazing atmosphere for all of our members. Come and see for yourself how we are the best and biggest club on campus!” -RW