burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to wear Greenery, Pantone’s color of the year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Every year since 2000, The Pantone Color Institute has chosen a color of the year. This year’s color, Greenery, is a big contrast to last year’s pastel colors, Rose Quartz and Serenity. This hue symbolizes a fresh new start and hints at the fashion industry’s need to become more eco-friendly. Pantone describes the color as “a fresh and zesty yellow-green shade that evokes the first days of spring… (and) symbolizes the reconnection we seek with nature, one another and a larger purpose amid a complex social and political landscape.” Greenery pairs well with neutrals, deep gem tones and metallics. Despite the versatility, for a lot of skin tones, a bright color like this can be very difficult to wear, so here are some tips on integrating this color into your wardrobe.

​Accessories

Accessories in this fresh pop of color can bring life to any outfit. The green color is unexpected and fun but less overwhelming than wearing Greenery head to toe. Accessories are a cheaper way to experiment with a new color. This can easily be done through scarves, belts, sunglasses, jewelry and even nail polish. Some great examples are Ray Ban wayfarer liteforce ($185), London Butter in greenery ($10), Ted and Jack silk scarf from Amazon ($12), and Kate Spade lime long pendent ($54).

Shoes and Bags

A Greenery shoe or bag amps up a casual outfit instantly. The color looks good on a bigger tote bag or clutch. Green sneakers and slides are perfect for ever day wear and it looks great in a nature inspired pattern. Some good options are Merona Faux Leather Tote from Target ($44.99), Hadaki Tania Crossbody ($96), Vans Asher from Kohl’s ($49.99) and Puma Suede sneakers ($44.99).

Skirts

For people out there who are in love with the boldness of the color, a skirt is a perfect way to feature Greenery. This makes a big impact but it can be toned down by pairing it with a neutral top. Florals are trendy this season, so kill two birds with one stone with this floral and greenery Rochas skirt. The Mary Katrantzou skirt uses a graphic print that breaks up the intensity of the green. Pleated skirts are flattering on almost any body type. Michael Kors has a floor length version, or mix it up with a metallic take on greenery like this Top Shop skirt.

Prints

One of the easiest ways to wear Greenery is in a fun print. Prints break up the harshness of the color and turn an article of clothing into a statement piece. On the runway, there were lots of floral and jungle prints that also embrace the nature aspect of the color. Some catwalk favorites were Marc Jacobs, Gucci and Rosie Assoulin. Color blocking keeps the color very bold like the Emilio Pucci ensemble.  

Pantone’s color of the year is always all over retail, so get ready to see Greenery explode in stores. The best advice to anyone unsure about the color is to start small with an accessory before working up to apparel. 

Julie is a fashion marketing and management student at the Savannah College of Art and Design. She is working toward a career in fashion promotion so writing is very important to her. Other passions include theatre, dogs and girl scout cookies.