andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Have a Successful Long Distance Relationship While at SCAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Long distance relationship. Those three words carry a lot of weight and there are many assumptions and taboos about them. Going to college and leaving your significant other behind or you both going to different schools can be super tough! But fret not, I have all the details on how to survive LDRs and how to decide if long distance is worth it.

Before embarking on the journey of long distance, you and your partner should have a conversation to see if going this route is what is best for everyone involved. Keeping communication open and honest is the easiest and best way to make sure you both walk away satisfied with the relationship. “I think long distance is worth it if both of the people in it are willing and know each other well enough to keep trying even when it can be frustrating.” Libby Barret, SCAD freshman, tells me.

Libby and her boyfriend, Greg, who goes to the University of Texas at the Tyler, Texas location.

Long distance isn’t easy by any means so setting some ground rules for how to operate your relationship is a great idea! Creating time to FaceTime or Skype your partner so you can see their face helps with feeling closer than you really are (geographically speaking). Texting can seem so impersonal and can actually put a strain on the relationship. “Be patient and understand that y’all will have different schedules and can’t talk every second of the day and that’s okay! Being understanding is key,” Alyssa Blalock, SCAD freshman, says. Knowing your partner and how they communicate is half the battle.

Alyssa and her boyfriend, Jake, who is a senior in high school.

Now here are some tips and tricks to help you in your LDR!

1. Send letters, care packages, gifts, etc! Receiving something in the mail from your significant other can help so much and make you feel so special.

2. Go the extra mile! Send them a sweet text, FaceTime or call them unexpectedly, or even surprise them by coming to their school!

3. Always communicate. Always.

4. Be honest with the person about how you are feeling so you guys can work it out and talk openly.

5.Trust, trust, trust. Don’t drive yourself crazy by questioning everything!

6. Let each other live their separate lives! This will actually make the relationship that much better because you get to learn something new in your partner’s life everyday!

7. Plan visits! Seeing each other every once in a while helps SO much! Also this gives you something to look forward to when times get tough. 

8. P A T I E N C E

9. Remember that long distance isn’t a permanent thing and that everything will work out in the end! 

Hey! My name is Caitlyn Bryant, but you can call me Cait! I'm a freshman fashion merchandising major at the Savannah College of Art and Design! I love fashion, beauty, and lifestyle and I'm really excited to be interning with SCAD's Her Campus chapter!