Freshmen Tattoos at SCAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Walking down the streets of Savannah and around the SCAD campus, you see hundreds of different personalities and styles. Going to SCAD, you’ll always run into the most interesting and creative people and most of these people have tattoos. Tattoos are a really controversial topicand and they spark a lot of conversation. “They’re permanent!”, “You’ll never get that off your body, I hope you know that.”. Generation X (aka the generation before us) have presumptive notions surrounding tattoos. But as Millennials, we are breaking all the barriers about them, especially at SCAD. 

In the month I have been here, I have seen so blown away by the diversity of the student body at SCAD. This is also reflected in the tattoos that people have. Students use this as an art form to express part of their life journey.

Photo courtesy of Stone Procaccino

“I’ve been obsessed with mermaids ever since I was a kid. Growing up, I was pressured into feeling bad about the things I loved because they were deemed ‘too girly’ by my mom. So, when I moved out I decided not to hide what I loved, so I chose the mermaid,” says Stone Procaccino, freshman, about the above photo.  

One of the most amazing things about tats is that they each have a different meaning to the person who has them. They are art that tells a story, and for a SCAD student, that is pretty special.

Photo courtesy of Alyssa Blalock’s Instagram @alysaablalock

This photo is featured on Alyssa’s Instagram and the caption reads, “for my role model & the most important woman in my life– a tattoo of her favorite saying in her handwriting. i love you to the moon and back, mimi.” 

Tattoos are more than just a needle and some ink and forever. They hold special meaning to each person and are a constant reminder of the events that have gone on in their lives. It’s an outwards mark of something inner. 

Do you have a tattoo that you are proud of and want to share? Feel free to send us a message or leave a comment, and you could be featured in our upcoming articles!

Hey! My name is Caitlyn Bryant, but you can call me Cait! I'm a freshman fashion merchandising major at the Savannah College of Art and Design! I love fashion, beauty, and lifestyle and I'm really excited to be interning with SCAD's Her Campus chapter!