nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finding Your Niche

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

You are now in college. After toiling through your high school years, which for some might have felt like a century.  After having the first few classes directly related to your area of study you realize that you don’t actually have a passion for what it is that you’re doing.  You have officially begun your line of questioning to find out what it is that you actually want to do with your life.  There’s no need to fear, here’s something that might be able to help you out with that.

1) Find something that you truly enjoy

Courtesy of: truthanchor.com

Now, when I say find something that you really love to do, I did not mean limit yourself to school.  Take a closer look at those hobbies; it might sound a little silly to do, but it could definitely lead you to very interesting conclusions about yourself and you may surprise yourself with what you find.  After taking a closer inspection of what I thoroughly enjoyed taking time out of my day to do, I began to find quite fascinating career paths within those areas.  A stress reliever for me in the evenings was making simple jewelry pieces and playing around with the designs and patterns and now that’s my major here in school.  So never count out the small things, they can turn into a major passion.

2) You don’t have to be amazing from the start

Courtesy of: quoteaddicts.com

In today’s society, the idea of perfection is definitely something that plays a major role in a number of people’s day-to-day lives.  I agree that perfection is something to strive for, but not to the point that it becomes an obsession.  When we look at the work of other’s and all they have achieved we have a tendency to compare ourselves to them, and often pointing out the negatives within ourselves.  We definitely need to take into consideration that skill and proficiency in something that comes with time and constant practice. The very last thing you want to do is give up something you enjoy simply because you are not amazing at it yet.  So it is normal to not be amazing at something straight out of the starting gate, and it is very important to give yourself time to develop. 

3) It’s exciting to learn more

Courtesy of: expertbeacon.com

Being both a jewelry designer and an aspiring fashion designer, I always love finding out about new techniques within the two fields and making discoveries on my own through experimentation.  I find that we tend to want to actually learn more about a particular subject matter if we have already have an interest in it.  Does what you’re doing at this point in time inspire you to keep learning more about it even after you are no longer required to?  When I say, “no longer required to”, I mean after having to complete an assignment or a mandatory class project.  Do you still feel the need to keep finding out more about that subject? 

4) Begin visualizing an end goal

Courtesy of: www.drewbairdfitness.com 

After finding and zeroing in on that one thing that you feel that you were made to do, where do you see yourself going? What goals would you like to achieve by the end of this year pertaining to your career?  It’s never too early to start writing down what you would like to do and when you would like to have accomplished it.  You don’t have to be super precise about the day and time, but by giving yourself a cut off date you become more inclined and motivated to finish your goal.  When making these goals it is a very good idea to be as specific as possible so that you can really focused on them.  If you haven’t started doing this right now is as good a time as any to get a jump on it!

5) Don’t freak out!

Courtesy of: combiboilersleeds.com

I cannot express the utmost importance of staying calm in a situation like this, especially if you are still trying to find your purpose and passion.  Yes, it is imperative that you have an idea of what those are for you by a particular time, but there is a good chance that it will come to you when you are not making it your constant concentration.  Try not to stress over it, it will come to you at the right point in time.  Some people may disagree with me when I say that and that is okay, but I do really think that if you are still a little lost in this area then you may just be thinking too hard or thinking about it a little too much.  Give your mind some room to breath, and you will be amazed at what comes to you!

I am currently a college student sutdying Jewelry Design.  Fashion and all things chocolate, eventhough they may not have connections to each other, are my muses! I personally love travelling and writing about life's experiences because I feel like there is so much to be shared particularly in a positive light!