This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

As you already know, the Savannah Film fest kicked off on Saturday, October 23, 2016 at Trustee’s Theatre. Tons of people showed up that night to enjoy the wonderful kick off party, and of course watch the night’s film Jackie. The Her Campus SCAD team attended the kick off event and gathered tons of street style from the event for you to enjoy. Here’s some street style coverage from the best dressed of the Film Fest attendees!

Photographed first was Lamia, who wore an emerald green satin backless gown. I spotted the back of her dress first & had to see the front. The dress was gorgeous and fit her perfectly. I was ten times more intrigued once I found out she made it herself. Keep designing your own Lamia, you look amazing girl!

Next up is SCAD employee Kristen Powell who works as a copy editor. She made a statement with her mohawk hairstyle which caught the eyes of nearly everyone that night! Kristen accented the hairstyle with a top which sparkled beautifully and a pair of red Dr Martins.

What is fall fashion without velvet or knee high boots?! I love this simple yet regal look worn by this SCAD student. Mercy stunned in this v-neck dress which she says she bought from Macys years ago; proof that velvet never goes out of style.

These film fest go-ers were dressed beautifully with statement pieces like the pink knee length coat and leopard print heels. Wearing one of my favorite accessories, a genuine beautiful smile!

Next we caught up with Phobe, who wore a red dress styled with a red lip and Betsey Johnson Milk Carton purse. I’m in love with how effortless & fashion forward this look is.

Also dressed to the 9 was WSAV News Reporter, Devin Negrete. Devin wore a little black dress, with a twist. The mesh extension made the dress 10 times more fashion able and her statement jewelry topped off the look perfectly.  

Next we caught this duo Arielle and Emilie who wore two very different looks but still were cohesive with almost matching hair and beautiful makeup! Emilie wore a little black dress lined with fringe and nude heels for styling.  Arielle, wearing the plaid dress and booties, topped off her look with red sparkling lips by makeup artist Pat Mcgrath they were so glamourous and totally eye catching.

Later that night we caught up with Producer and SCAD Alumni Whitney Valcin on the red carpet.  Whitney is the Producer for film Like Cotton Twines, which premiered the following night at Trustees Theatre. Here’s what she had to tell us about her time at SCAD and her film.

When asked what was her inspiration when it came to producing the film Whitney said it is a story about women, a drama about child sex slavery in Africa. The main character is a little girl and those factors played a large part in why she wanted to join the team for the film.

When I asked what has life been like for her after SCAD, Whitney replies “I have been blessed, I’ve looked back at my life every October since 2010 and I can definitely say that my life has progressed ” Whitney says she owes a large portion of her success & progression to SCAD and the wonderful film program closing with “It’s a Great School!”

After wards, we caught up with the director and writer of the film Like Cotton Twines Leila Djansi. Here’s what Leila had to say when we asked her advice for women looking to pursue a career in the film industry.

“Don’t let anyone tell you no & if they do tell you no, do not take it to heart. If you believe in what you’re doing, fight for it. Manage your expectations, that’s the biggest advice. And look out for opportunities and if they come, you grab them.”

We asked her what her inspiration was for writing the film and she replied explaining “there’s no one who will tell our (women’s) stories the way we will tell them. We have so may things that effect us women that many people don’t really care about and if there’s an opportunity to put women & women’s issues on screen she says she will do it.” Right on girls!

Hope you all enjoyed the interview and street style, until next time!

Images courtesy of Savannah Wingard

Thank you to the Savannah College of Art and Design for hosting the Savannah Film Festival 2016!

Fashion Marketing and Management & Fashion Design student at SCAD.