Fashion: Why It’s About More Than Just Making Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

In a time full of political correctness, acceptance, tolerance, and movements toward equality, you would be led to believe that with that comes higher self esteems and positive body images amongst teens. However, the statistics show otherwise. According to the Daily Mail, “More than half of young women are bullied at school because of how they look”. What’s even more upsetting is that so many of these young women are so discouraged by these hurtful words and actions, that they end up missing out on their education just to escape it.

Society has turned the Fashion industry into a stereotype of stuck up women with way too much money eating salads so they can fit into a size 0 mini skirt. Yet, the truth of the matter is, fashion does a lot of good in this world. According to The Telegraph, officials in Paris have made a new law that makes models submit a doctor’s note showing that they have a healthy BMI before they are allowed to model. Not only does this help the models stay healthy and safe, but it shows the world that unhealthy expectations are not in style. Every woman is beautiful in their own unique way, and it’s time for all of us to stand together to make this the reality.

Image from Compassion Brands

One company that I recently discovered, called Compassion Brands, is doing a lot of good in the fashion industry as well. Founded by Gigi Yeoman, Compassion Brands works to defy stereotypes and appeal to all demographics. With all of their clothing items featuring a body positive message, they are paving the way towards a brighter, and more stylish future for teens around the globe. Not only are they promoting a better self image, but they also are partnering with Teen Line, a crisis phone hotline for teens, to make help accessible for every young adult. It’s companies like these that are going to shape the fashion world as we know it, and make a difference in our society.

Image from Pantone

Even Pantone got in on the movement. With the start of 2016, Pantone announced, for the first time, their 2 colors of the year- Serenity and Rose Quartz. According to Pantone, their inspiration for the two colors was to inspire the idea of gender fluidity. While the topic was controversial at the time, the idea is simple- Love on everyone you meet, and show them the same respect that you wish to have.  With these movements in mind, hopefully we will see a large shift in the way our world views each other and themselves.

Amy Kulp is a Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is either working on her own styling business, shopping, or performing in theatre productions. When she graduates, she plans on moving to New York City and working either as a personal stylist or as a creative director with one of the many fashion houses New York has to offer.