Eating Healthy in the Dorms: Chia Seed Pudding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Image Courtesy Joyful Healthy Eats Blog

If you’re like me and love some good healthy breakfast, you’ve come to the right place. If you’re also like me and have a hard time finding the motivation to actually go out and get some good healthy breakfast (aka too lazy to put on “real clothes” & go to the caf), just keep on reading. 

Chia seeds have been a staple in my diet for a while now and for good reason. They are loaded with both fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, and are easily digested. What’s best about them though is that they’re super convenient and can be added to literally anything. Some of my favorite ways to eat chia seeds is to add them to smoothies, yogurt, salads, and even sprinkle on top of fruit. I am always on the look out for ways to stay healthy and also switch things up, so I found a new and delicious way to get my daily dose of chia seeds in with something called Chia Seed Pudding! If you’ve ever had chia seeds, or just know what they look like, this can be a little intimidating. And if you took the time to look at the pictures, you’ll understand why; chia seed pudding literally looks like a bowl of swollen bugs. BUT DON’T BE SCARED. It tastes nothing like bugs; it’s actually very delicious.

Image Courtesy The Collegiate Vegan Blog

Chia seed pudding is so easy and convenient when you’re living in a dorm because all you do is mix the ingredients and leave it in the fridge over night so the chia seeds will soak up the milk. Also, it’s fun because in the morning you can customize your pudding with whatever yummy toppings you desire!

RECIPES

Classic

• Chia seeds
  • Almond Milk

*Top with: honey, cinnamon, nuts, & blueberries

Chocolate

• Chia seeds
  • Almond milk
  • Cocoa powder

*Top with: cinnamon, hemp seeds, granola, & bananas

If you tried any of these recipes out be sure to leave a comment down below telling us how you liked it!

is a freshman at SCAD who is majoring in Interactive Design & minoring in fashion journalism. Her favorite thing ever is waking up early on a weekend morning, turning on "the passenger" radio station on pandora, diffusing snickerdoodle essential oils, making a healthy breaky, blogging, & doing it all with a cup of coffee right by her side.