The Dos and Don’ts of Living on your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

As we grow up and go to college many life obstacles, memories and choices form and shape us into our adult selves. One of the important life altering college phenomenon’s is the “moving out for the first time” transition. While we all know dorm life can be filled with fun late night dorm parties, quick pop-in hangouts,  close and easy access to the school buildings  and decorating overloads, there comes a time when we, like our parents once did, must move out into our own, private space.

Moving out can be a scary, difficult and lengthy process. The amount of up front charges and back ground procedures can make anyone shy away. However, despite the hassle, the moment when all is said and done and your just outside the door with your very own key, is completely worth it.

So let’s now talk about the do’s and don’ts of moving out for the first time.

The dos

1) You must clean, and chances are you will want to. That apartment you just moved into is expected to be in good or better condition than when you leave or you will be charged a fine.

2) You must pay rent on time, because while some apartments have a late time span where you can pay with just an extra fee, you don’t want to get stuck with it or worse be evicted just because you were late with rent.

3) Find a place close enough to campus, a grocery store and hospital. All of these will make living both easier and safer.

4) Go out and find a roommate. Anyone from a close friend, or someone you interviewed extensively will do. Having a roommate teachs you a lot about people, yourself, and how the world works when bills and another person are both involved.

The Don’ts

1) Do not anger the neighbors. Chances are you will have at least one stingy neighbor just ready to make a call on you for any loud sounds that may or may not occur.

2)  Don’t forget to take pictures of your new place and report pervious damages so you do not get charged.

3) Do not lose your keys! Re-keying costs the big bucks.

Overall, try and have fun. Moving out for the first time is a big step and you will learn a lot about yourself. Also, don’t be ashamed if you end up missing home from time-to-time, it happens to all of us, you’re not alone.

Hello! My name is Angela Kastrunes. I am a senior Fashion Marketing and Management student at SCAD. I am the founder/CC for Her Campus-SCAD. Our chapter has grown so much over the past 3 years. I'm excited to say we have expanded to the Atlanta campus, and now have over 20 members combined. It's very bittersweet to realize this is my last year, working as a CC for HC. After graduation I hope to either work in social media management, PR for a fashion brand/music label, or as an editor of a fashion magazine (or Her Campus Nationals).