College Addictions: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

It’s freshman year and you’re driving to campus in a car packed with what you deemed “college essentials”. Fast forward two weeks and you find yourself saying, “who was I kidding? I don’t need any of this!” All jokes aside, freshman year of college is a crucial step in your life. For some reason, whenever we take the next big step in life, we find it necessary to jam-pack every experience in as we can because the world is once again anew and opportunities seem so vast. With that all being said, let’s address one thing: addictions. Although some college addictions will fade, some will imprint on your life forever. Whether they stay or go is not the issue—the issue is which addictions are good, bad and ugly. 

The Good…

–          Befriending everyone you meet

–          Netflix binges with friends—or alone

–          Buzzfeed breaks

–          Dorm gatherings—everyday during your first year

–          Attending every school event possible

–          Exploring the campus again, and again and again

The Bad…

–          Forgetting to sleep

–          Skipping too many classes

–          Overeating at the school cafeteria

–          Pizza binges—believe me when I say they will eventually get old and you will gain the Freshman 15

–          Coming home at all hours of the night

–          Buying all of the school gear—relax and wait for the freebees 

The Ugly…

–          Abusing alcohol

–          Abusing drugs

–          Over-partying

–          Not giving your all on assignments

–          Neglecting basic needs—like washing your clothes or sleeping when you need to

No matter what addictions you develop in college, keep in mind that moderation is essential because even harmless addictions can control your life. Above all—be safe, have fun, and make memories. These four years will go by fast—don’t miss them.

Hi All! My name is Kayla, I am a Sophomore at SCAD, studying Dramatic Writing and Creative Writing.