This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

There are a ton of majors at SCAD, spread all over the city of Savannah, and the people in each major usually have drastically different styles. The one common thing that ties us all together? Graphic Tees.

It does not matter if it’s a vintage band tee, a Stranger Things shirt, or a tee that says you have more issues than Vogue, we all have at least a couple to spare in our respective closets. Looking around campus, the fan-favorite way to wear a graphic tee is with a pair of jeans and some sneakers. Don’t get me wrong: it’s a safe bet at looking good, but variety is the spice of life. Depending on what you have in your closet and what your style is, swapping or adding on a few things can take the graphic tee from the normal “I just threw this on because it’s comfy” look to an “I can put together a stylish outfit because I am stylish!” look real quick.

Quick Alters

This is usually what I do if I’m out and about already and realize my jeans and graphic tee combo aren’t making me feel all that cute. Often times I’ll take my shirt and tie it in a knot that sits below my belly button. I tend to do this the most because it’s quick and it adds a little more shape to my figure. Another option I do is I’ll take my extra hair tie on my wrist and tie my shirt up in the back. It’s a similar concept as the first option, but there’s no knot to be seen. The simplest thing I’ll do is to take the front of my shirt and slightly tuck it into my pants. It’s such a small thing but it changes your outfit a lot. If you haven’t left home yet, putting on a belt adds just a little more interest to the classic jeans and a graphic tee look.

Skirts

I love a good denim skirt. The trend really freaked me out when the denim skirt was deemed “back in style” because I didn’t want to look like I was a time traveler from 2003. With a longer skirt and a higher rise, they make me feel comfortable and cute. Also, it’s an easy step up from jeans because it’s made of the same material so you’re not too out of your comfort zone but it still elevates the look because it’s a skirt!

Another fun look to try is to pair a graphic tee with a midi or maxi skirt. Graphic tees are pretty gender neutral, so tucking a shirt into a long, flowing skirt can change the outfit into something more feminine. If this is right up your alley, throw on a pair of heels (maybe some chunkier ones, gotta watch out for the cobblestone streets), sparkly earrings and cute sunglasses and enjoy this polished yet comfortable graphic tee outfit!

Dresses

Dresses are really cute. I have a ton of them. But I always feel like I’m sometimes too dressed up if I roll up to class in one. The fix? Layering a graphic tee on top. Tie a little knot on the side if you want to add some more shape back into the outfit while the pattern on the dress makes the outfit a little more fun. The casualness of the graphic tee takes away from a dressy-dress, and if you pair it with sneakers then you’re ready for a comfy day of classes while still looking stylish.

Layering

I feel like the SCAD buildings are always set to Antarctic temperatures, no matter what time of year. Honestly, layering is a really easy way to not only add something to your outfit but to stay warm. This is pretty classic, but a graphic tee with a flannel or oversized denim shirt will always look great. Another thing to try is to take that blazer you haven’t worn since the career fair and wear that on top a tee. Even though those two things are opposites on the style spectrum, they complement each other very nicely.

Those were just a few tips I use to break the cycle of jeans and tee outfits. Hopefully, if you have a few of those items in your closet, you’ll use some of the ideas and spice up your graphic tee life too!

Carly Shaw is a Junior at the Savannah Campus of Art and Design, majoring in Writing and minoring in Creative Writing and Fashion Journalism. As much as she loves to write, she also loves to spend time shopping, baking and wandering the charming city of Savannah. If her dreams of becoming a fashion journalist or a fictional novelist don't pan out, opening up her own bakery with her brother will be the next thing she does.