Campus Celeb: Ryan B. Workman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Here at SCAD, we have a very diverse amount of students epically in our fashion department. But what makes our school so special is our passion, and Ryan Workman doesn’t come short in that department. As a full time student, Ryan is also the Vice President of one of our school clubs; he even had the privilege to show at a fashion show! Thankfully I was lucky to ask this amazing student for his insight on the fashion world.

What first sparked your love and/or interest for fashion?

RW: My love and interest in fashion came from the art side of fashion I started to view fashion as not just a piece of clothing but wearable art even the simplistic shirt had some sort of artistic stamp and this made me love fashion.

Who is your role model in the fashion industry?

RW: My role model is Alexander McQueen not just for his ideas and clothing but also just because he truly fused the world of art and fashion together he forced buyers and fashion critiques to look at his art and listen to what he had to say with his clothes. He was the kind of guy who would research and process and brain storm about something and where he took ideas and how he shaped them into something was amazing and it takes my breath away.

Where do see yourself in twenty years within the industry?

RW: Honestly I don’t know where I will see myself within the industry there are so many parts of the industry I love and so many great companies to work for I don’t have one set goal, but whatever I am doing or wherever I am as long as I’m having fun and happy I will be content.

This last spring you were in Charleston’s Fashion Week. Tell me about that experience?

RW: CFW WAS AMAZING. It was one of the few times in a designers life that they could do exactly what they wanted from music to hair to make-up to clothing everything was my decision. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am grateful I got to do it!

Did this experience help you creatively, as a designer?

RW: Honestly the experience while amazing didn’t help me as a designer exactly what it did do was show me what it really is like on a runway what it’s like to plan that and how it all works it really gave me a new spark and love for design and pushed me farther and crave it again.

Not only are you a full time student but you’re also the Vice President of SCAD’s Queers & Allies. Is it difficult trying to manage so much at once?

RW: Not really, at times it can be stressful but within the club I get a lot of help. When it comes to homework I have a lot of friends who push me to work hard and do my best along with keeping me from breaking down and giving up.

Staying involved with your school is great for your resume. Is there an advice you can give other students to keep them involved?

RW: Find a club you like every school has so many clubs and there has to be at least one you love and when you do take it and run with it and work your hardest to see it succeed

Is there any advice you would give to future SCAD students or any upcoming fashion design students?

RW: My advice would be to never be afraid of what you are designing, try everything, and don’t give up. It’s a really difficult industry but when you’re in school now is your time to be crazy and try everything because you will lose a lot of these opportunity a in the future so push yourself and make amazing art.