This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

As a part of Black Lives Matter Week at HerCampus SCAD, I wanted to share an event that took place at another college, called Black Out UVM, that was very much worthy of mention. The University of Vermont held a peace rally in honor of the movement where students dressed in all black, had a moment of silence for victims of police brutality and gun violence, & said a few words about the movement. The rally was held on a Monday afternoon and even though everything went as planned, the event had a little bit of an issue over the weekend. Someone had stolen the Black Lives Matter flag that was hung outside the university’s Davis Center, however, the crew quickly found a way to create & paint a new flag within hours to get it flying high again. The rally was then held right where the flag was stolen.

It’s always so awesome hearing about college students standing up for what they believe is right in a respectful, peaceful way and using their voices to help out people in their community. Go UVM! Keep reading below to hear an interview from University Of Vermont student, Gabriela Prodans, who attended the peace rally:

HC: What college do you attend and what year are you currently?

Gabriela: I am a senior at The University of Vermont (UVM). 

HC: Can you tell me a bit about Black Out UVM & what your role was?

Gabriela: My role was being an ally to the black community! I wore a black dress to school all day in support and posted a picture in solidarity. After class, I met a bunch of my friends and acquaintances and we prayed over the event for safety that our community would be unified during the event. (Some of my friends and I are apart of a Christian Fellowship group on campus). Akilah and Haydee (the event organizers) said some words, there was a moment of silence and then we gathered to take a picture with the BLM flag. 

HC: What was the inspiration behind this event at University of Vermont & what were you guys hoping to accomplish?

Gabriela: I didn’t help plan the event at all, I just showed up— but Akilah wrote “The purpose of the Black Out, is to welcome people of color and their alliances to dress in all black attire on Monday September 26, 2016. The initiative of this event is to embrace the Black Lives Matter flag that was recently raised to pay tribute the tragic deaths within our community. We do want this to be a PEACEFUL event. A time where we can all stand unified and feel loved.”

HC: What impact did this event have on you?

Gabriela: Looking around seeing everyone dressed in black, on behalf of injustice, was absolutely beautiful. I saw friends, classmates, strangers, people I saw in the library all standing together. It truly gave me chills. Honestly, I felt God’s presence so strongly looking around and seeing everyone together on one accord. 

HC: What impact did this event have on the university?

Gabriela: The BlackOut really gathered our community together in a positive way. Someone actually stole the first flag, but a faculty member painted a new one. I know the event meant a lot to my friends who identify as people of color. I was honored to be an ally to the people I love. 

HC: What would you say to anyone wanting to get involved with this movement?

Gabriela: I would say listen! Listen to people’s stories. My understanding of injustice deepened so much more after listening to my friend’s personal experiences.

Thank you to Garbiela Prodans for providing me some extra special insight and lovely photos on the event, and thanks to UVM for standing up for whats right and unifying their college community!

is a freshman at SCAD who is majoring in Interactive Design & minoring in fashion journalism. Her favorite thing ever is waking up early on a weekend morning, turning on "the passenger" radio station on pandora, diffusing snickerdoodle essential oils, making a healthy breaky, blogging, & doing it all with a cup of coffee right by her side.