7 Unexpected Things that I Learned my First Month of SCAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

It is well known that college is the time of gaining new experiences, for most of us this is the first time we are on our own which can be a little daunting. Unfortunately, to make matters worse, because everything is so new, the likelihood of us making a few (maybe more) mistakes is very high. But fear not, mistakes aren’t necessarily a bad thing, it simply means we are learning to survive on our own. Now we all knew that we were going to learn the basics like how to do laundry and wash a dish, but as any college student knows, throughout your first month you learn a few things that you didn’t hear about from mom. Life completely changes, and will continue to change over the next four years, so hopefully these few things I’ve learned will help make the transition just a little easier, and maybe you can teach me a few things too!

Image Courtesy of Food Network

1. Grilled Chicken Saves Lives

• Let’s face it- college food isn’t the best, and although you will always have the basic junk food like hot dogs and hamburgers, I highly doubt freshman 15 is on your to-do list. So as an alternative, there is always going to be trusty grilled chicken at the cafe. You can eat it on its own, make a chicken salad from the salad bar, or even add it to your pasta to switch up your meals a little bit. It’s a much healthier option, and you know what? It doesn’t taste half bad either!

Image Courtesy of Quotesgram

2. Cardboard is Your Best Friend

• Now this one not only applies to the art students, but cardboard can literally be used for everything. It prevents your floor from being covered in paint, wood chips, or even food grease. An added plus, it functions as a cutting board! So instead of buying a super expensive one from the art stores that’s going to be cut up by your exact-o knife anyway, get a large sheet of it. Trust me- cardboard is key.

Image Courtesy of Auto Evolution

3. Uber Can Be Rewarding

• College towns are great, but there aren’t that many options to get around. You have the bus, a bike or you can walk. Most freshman don’t have cars and buses often don’t take you exactly where you want to go, making Ubers a great alternative for college students. If you have a car, and are over 21, you can become an Uber driver and make a little extra cash! Even if you do it for just 2 hours a week, that’s still some extra spending money in your pocket- plus you may meet some interesting people and find out where the party houses are.

Image Courtesy of I Love College

4. You Will Fall on People on the Bus, and They Will Fall on You

• There’s no avoiding this, just accept it. Everyone’s trying to get to class, and whether they are carrying textbooks or art supplies, it’s hard to hold on to a railing and balance your books while the bus is speeding around corners or coming to a stop. People fall and you will too.

Image Courtesy of Business 2 Community

5. It’s Normal to Talk to Strangers!

• As strange as it sounds, it’s not weird to talk to strangers. It’s actually how you network and make friends. That’s not to say go talk to the guy on the side of the road muttering to himself, but if you’re on a college bus or around campus, starting up a conversation with someone is relatively normal. Although you may not love everyone you meet, you may find some really interesting people.  Everyone’s trying to make friends, and often they will be grateful that you initiated the conversation. Just try it!

Image Courtesy of InStyle

6. Warning: Washing Machines Don’t Always Wash

• I know laundry isn’t necessarily something you wouldn’t expect to learn about in college, but I was very disturbed when I took my brand new white sheets out of the washing machine and there were brown water stains everywhere. Gross. Washing machines apparently need to be cleaned out every so often, but because there are so many students using the machines, they aren’t usually cleaned out as often as they should be. Hence the brown water marks. To avoid destroying your favorite white blouse, put all your whites in a lingerie bag before you wash them. Simple, but so effective.

Image Courtesy of Style Fiesta Diaries

7. PJ’s Have Their Place

• First of all, don’t wear them to class. I know people say it’s fine, but it’s not. It gives off the impression that you have no respect for your teachers or what they are teaching. Secondly, even though you shouldn’t wear them to class, don’t be afraid to wear them around your hallways and dorm halls. No one really cares if you’re going to the trash room in pajamas, and don’t worry about the cute guy/girl down the hall, they are probably in pajamas too.

I know the first month of college can be stressful, but trust me- you can and will get through it. You’ve got this, girl!

Hey! Im Alyssa, i'm a freshman at SCAD planning to major in Fashion Marketing and Management! I love all things fashion and i'm from India and Houston, TX but i've lived in Dubai almost my entire life! I promise we will get through college together!