7 Things To Do In Savannah If You Love Adventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Do you have a passion for adventure? Do you like to travel to new places? Do you ever get the sudden urge to try something new and precarious? If you’re like me, then you are probably struggling in Savannah, but I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be that way. Savannah may seem a little boring for you adrenaline junkies out there, but I’ve put together 7 things to do that will surely quench your thirst for adventure.

ROCK CLIMBING

PHOTO BY TYSON DUDLEY

Savannah Climbing Coop is located in downtown Savannah and is a great place to learn how to rock climb. The indoor bouldering facility is affordable and perfect for beginners. Day passes are only $10 and you can rent shoes for just $4. And day passes are HALF OFF on Fridays! Rock climbing boosts brain function, builds muscle and endurance, AND reduces stress. College can get pretty tiring, so head on down to Savannah Climbing Coop for a stress-reliever!  

AT TRAIL

PHOTO BY  ROGER STEINBACHER

Believe it or not, there are actually some pretty cool mountains nearby… well, sort of nearby. The beginning of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail is about 5 hours away, so if you have a free weekend I highly recommend venturing to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Gather up some good friends, pack a sturdy tent and tasty food, and strap on your finest hiking boots. The Appalachian Trail isn’t for beginners, but the views make it worth it. You can start with Springer Mountain and continue as far as your legs can take you.

SKIDAWAY ISLAND

PHOTO BY ANDREW SCOFIELD

Skidaway Island State Park is a great get-a-way spot for those of you who like to submerge yourself in nature. There are trails, an observation tower, boardwalks, and campsites. You can go with a group of friends for the day or bring a tent and camp out for the weekend.

TYBEE ISLAND

PHOTO BY WOODROW WALDEN

Have you ever seen The Last Song, Dirty Grandpa, or even Baywatch? You have the chance to check out the very place those movies were filmed! Tybee Island is just a half hour drive from Savannah, and it is always buzzing with college students. You could sun bath on the beach, play soccer in the sand, or even try surfing!  

SKYDIVE

PHOTO BY JAKOB OWENS

If you are feeling especially daring, The Jumping Place Skydiving Center is only an hour drive from Savannah. This activity can get a little pricey, but it is an experience you will never forget. The Jumping Place Skydiving Center offers tandem skydiving and AFF certification. I only suggest this to the daredevils seeking a thrilling adventure and copious amounts of adrenaline.  

HELICOPTER RIDES

PHOTO BY PATRICK TOMASSO

Helicopter tours are offered all over Savannah and it may be the best way to see how grand the city really is. This can also get pricey but if you are looking for a new perspective, this is just for you. Some artists say that if you are facing a lack of inspiration, the best thing to do is to put yourself in a new position, in this case that would be several hundred feet in the air. If you love heights and flying, this is an adventure you will surely enjoy.  

SCAD OUTDOORS CLUB

PHOTO BY LACEY RAPER

Join the SCAD Outdoors Club!! Seriously, you love adventure and you haven’t joined yet? The Outdoors Club has events ranging from overnight camping trips, spring break backpacking trips, to just playing sports at Forsyth. The club was created this year and is always welcoming new members!