17 Things Your RA Wants You to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.
  1. RA’s Are People, Too.  We have a lot going on. Projects, papers, rehearsals, socializing. We are here for you no matter what, but don’t think we don’t care if when you knock on the door, your RA isn’t home.
  2. We Don’t Really Want to Bust You. We don’t walk around praying for an incident. But, it is a part of our job to make sure that every student on campus feels safe and sometimes that means we have to stop a party in its tracks.
  3. Those Programs? We work really hard to make sure they are something you’d enjoy! So c’mon out and enjoy some time away from your stressful 2D Design project.
  4. We Aren’t Nuns. But rules are a good time. 
  5. We Are Here to Support You. Feeling homesick? Don’t know how to connect with other residents or get involved? Have a problem with a class? That’s what we are here for! We can either help you, or guide you to someone who can!
  6. We Have Had Roommates, too. The struggle is real.
  7. The Programs, Though. If you don’t see something you would want to happen, let your RA know! We will make it happen*! *Within reason, do not expect a trip to Paris.
  8. We Like Making Friends. Hang out with us! We don’t bite! 
  9. Wifi Problems? Don’t worry, hun. We will suffer through together, ’cause I don’t know how to fix it either. Call Tech Support.
  10. We Aren’t Your Parents. Love you boo, but I am not cleaning up after you. Please respect the public areas.
  11.  We Know That You Know That a Dorm Room Party is the Worst Kind of Party. Just go off campus.
  12. We Sleep! And we love it! Even on duty nights we sleep!
  13. We talk about you to other RA’s. It’s like you are actually our babies. And we compete to have the sweetest hall.
  14. Go to a Program. You might learn something new. 
  15. Let Us Know How We Can Help! We really do want to be an asset to you! Don’t be afraid to ask us (almost) anything.
  16. RA on Duty Phone Number. This is a student-only line. Please ask your parents to call the main housing office to be routed to your residence hall.
  17. Our Hall is Always the Best Hall. #ReslifeToTheNextLife Bragging rights are a thing.