10 Things You Shouldn’t Do During Your First Quarter at SCAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Freshman year at SCAD is a time of personal growth and new experiences. Amidst memorizing bus routes, adjusting to living with new roommates, and staying on top of projects, you can be left feeling a bit frazzled and discombobulated. To help combat the general buzz of sensory overload, I have compiled a list of ten things you should not do your freshman year.

2. Don’t go out and buy your supplies and or textbooks until after your first class: Chances are, and this is most often the case, you’re not going to use all of the items that your professor recommends. Also, you don’t have to default to shopping at Ex Libris. Both Utrecht and Blick have great promotions, sales, and coupons that you can utilize for big savings. In the same vein, if you don’t want to drop $200 on that textbook, try looking for a free PDF online. If that doesn’t work, you can always rent from Amazon or another, cheaper website.

2.Don’t spend all of your money at *insert name of expensive store on Broughton here*: When freshman year kicks off, there may be a bit of a lull during the first week. This is not the time to revamp your entire wardrobe. I know it’s tough when that floral dress at Urban Outfitters is just oh-so cute, but you’re going to need that money handy for art supplies, incidentals, and going out with your friends. Instead of blowing all your money right off the bat, maybe wait until midterms to reward yourself for surviving the first half of the quarter. 

3. Don’t shirk your Foundations Studies classes: Yes, I know Drawing I is not the most riveting course offered. Yes, I understand 3D design may not seem relevant to your Photography major. The fact of the matter is, friends, that in one way or another, these classes will influence your work later on in your major classes. They are called Foundations for a reason; they give you the strong foundation you need to be successful later on in your studies. Plus, that C in Color Theory may not seem like a big deal now, but it’s going to hurt your GPA overall. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

4. (While we’re on the subject of classes) Don’t be disrespectful to your professors: Look, I’m sure your the next Picasso and you know everything there is to know about your intended major (*cough*…*sarcasm*), but that still doesn’t mean that you can’t learn something from your professor. Google him or her. Seriously, do it. Look at their work, and I promise you’ll be blown away.  Not only that, you never know when that one professor you just can’t stand has a connection to somebody who works for your dream company. The art world is a relatively small place, and networking is going to make or break you. Moral of the story? Go to class. Get there on time. Be respectful. Listen. Do your work. Eat your vegetables. You catch my drift?

5. Don’t neglect your health: Speaking from experience, it’s easy to let your personal health slip to the back burner during your first quarter. You’re on your own, relatively speaking, and there’s not going to be someone to tell you to make sure you eat right and get enough sleep, and most of the time that is going to be the last thing on your mind. Stress and exhaustion give way to eating poorly, pulling too many consecutive all-nighters, and a myriad of other debilitating lifestyle choices. If you start off on the right foot, you’re more likely to feel better later on in the quarter. 

6. Don’t be a jerk: Sounds simple enough. I’m not saying you have to be Miss or Mr. Mary Sunshine 24/7, but being polite will take you farther than being a Grumpy Gus, I assure you.

7. Don’t get stuck in a Starbucks rut: Pumpkin Spice Latte season may be upon us, but that doesn’t mean there are no other places to get a good, ole cup of joe. Gallery Espresso has great coffee, and a huge selection of loose-leaf teas. The antique chairs and relaxed atmosphere make it a great place to study or meet friends on the weekend. If it’s iced coffee you’re after, then you have to check out Savannah Coffee Roasters.You won’t be disappointed, I promise. 

8. Don’t miss on-campus events: On campus events may seem cheesy, but they’re actually a great way to get out and meet people from different majors. SCAD has some really great ones including Fall Fest, the Masquerade Ball, Films in Forsyth, trivia nights, and more! 

9. Don’t forget to visit the SCAD Museum of Art: Of all the awesome resources and services SCAD has to offer, SCAD MOA has got to be one of the most unique and useful. The building was originally a part of the Central of Georgia Railway complex, and even maintains some of the original bricks used to construct the depot. Inside houses rotating exhibits of some of the world’s most astounding contemporary artists. SCAD MOA also hosts guest lectures and symposiums, workshops, receptions, and other events. Not to mention, it’s free with your SCAD ID. 

10. Don’t forget to have fun! While you’re slaving away on your school work, make sure you take some time to get out and enjoy yourself. Everyone deserves a little R&R every now and then. Above all, college is a time to learn and grow as both an artist and a person, so it’s good to take some time off to bask in the sunshine on Tybee, have a picnic with your pals in Forsyth, or even just have an evening where you binge watch Gossip Girl on Netflix.

Cheers, Newbees, may your first year at SCAD be one for the books!

Image via Google

Designer, cat lover, and lipstick enthusiast. SCAD class of 2016. Fibers major. mynameisolivia.com