Style

Zendaya x Tommy Hilfger Collection: The Champion of Inclusivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

According to Glamour, “We’re paying homage to these women who changed our legacy…and allowed for me and so many others to be here,” said Zendaya. Let’s just say she certainly did!  The fashionista Zendaya has released her first groovy collection with the designer Tommy Hilfiger and might we add this collection is a definitely a collection for all women for all shapes and sizes and skin tones and it showed in her Paris fashion week show where it  put the entire fashion industry to shame by featuring a size-diverse cast and solely a variety of black models in the show. Might I add that the last fashion show that did that this was in 1973 in the Battle of Versailles back when top French and American designers from Dior to Oscar de la Renata when they faced off to see whether America could overcome its battle of being on the same level of French couture according to Zendaya in her interview in Women’s Wear Daily.  The main reason why she wanted to do this was to pay homage to the women before and the future of women no matter what race or body type they have. Zendaya stated with WWD, “Size inclusivity has been important to me always—if women in my family can’t all wear it, I don’t want to make it,” “We had plus-size models, which Tommy has never done before.” She wanted to break the boundaries that are not common in a fashion show and especially in Tommy Hilfiger fashion show. The style of the collection is also something I would not expect from Zendaya. It is definitely seventies, Saturday Night Fever, Foxy Brown inspired, but I like it that though. In conclusion, The Zendaya x Tommy Hilfiger spring collection is champion of inclusivity and we all are here for it! Keep doing your thing, sis! Please check it out as well.

Image Credit: The Insider

Image Credit: NYTimes

Image Credit: Bossip

Najah Layne

SCAD ATL '22

Hello I'm Najah Layne! I am college sophomore going through the journey of life, figuring things out one step at a time and showcasing my passions & loves which is being an enthusiast on pop culture, the latest fashion trends, styling tips, and most importantly empowering young women and being my crazy, weird self while doing it. We are going to be talking about all things real and there no holding back!
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World