Which Mini Indoor Garden is Right for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

For those of us who grew up in a small town or rural community, it’s hard to stay close to nature when you live in a collegetown or big city. Instead of picnics and nature walks, we find ourselves exploring the jungle of seedy nightclubs or damaging our eyesight by spending hours a day staring at screens. In celebration of Earth Day, why not bring a bit of greenery into your life by livening up your dorm or apartment with an indoor garden. Urban gardening is not only growing as an earth-friendly trend, but it’s also a lot easier than it looks. There are several gardens to tend to that can accommodate your schedule and price range and even incorporate recycled materials. Get your friends involved by taking care of the garden as a group or enjoy some much deserved “me time” by jumping into the urban gardening scene on your own. Either way, these indoor garden ideas will spruce up your living space and reconnect you with nature.

1. Fairy Garden

Image courtesy of www.fleamarketgardening.org.

These itty-bitty treasures are perfect for the more imaginative girl looking for a fun way to blow off steam. Plant small shrubbery or cacti in a flower pot/bowl and design a space a fairy might live in. These gardens not only provide a striking centerpiece for any apartment, but can also become a relaxing, creative hobby.

2. Terrarium

Image courtesy of inhabitat.com.

Terrariums are another great mini-garden designed for world building. Take a fish bowl or apothecary jar and fill it with sand, seashells, soil, flowers, cacti, rocks, shrubbery and more to capture your own green universe. Terrariums also make great shelf or hanging decorations.    

3. Friendship Garden

Image courtesy of buzzfeed.com.

Looking for a unique way to bond with someone? Whether it’s your best friend or a budding new roommate, friendship gardens are a great team project that bring people together. This free-form garden can range from a bonsai tree, a typography garden or even a Zen garden – there are no rules and possibilities are endless.    

4. Herb Garden

Image courtesy of www.housebeautiful.com.

For those who like to experiment in the kitchen, a mini herb garden can be a fun and practical hobby. Start by shopping for basic herbs and fruit or vegetable seed packets to cultivate indoors. Then grow them in planters made from recycled materials like a milk carton cut in half or an old cardboard egg carton. You’ll be saving the earth while spicing up your cooking.

5. Table-Top Water Garden

Image courtesy of radmegan.com.

Don’t worry; you don’t have to be a member of a gardening club to pull these off in your dorm. Table-top water gardens are elegant conversation pieces that can be housed in glass or plastic vases, punch bowls or pitchers. Water-based plants that work well in this garden include duck weed, water lettuce and fairy moss. These gardens are easy to preserve and add a touch of class to your living space.

Still not sure if you’re ready to take on an indoor garden? Take our quiz to find out which mini indoor garden is right for you based on your time commitment, price range and personality.  

Emme Raus

SCAD ATL

Emme Raus is studying for her B.F.A. in writing with a minor in creative writing from the Savannah College of Art and Design. She studies at the SCAD Atlanta campus and loves her dog Jerry.