Culture > News

Virginia first lady accused of handing out cotton to black children, report says

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

The Washington Post Weighs In: 

Virginia’s most powerful family is in the spotlight after new allegations surrounding yet another racist incident. The Washington Post says that Virginia’s first lady, Pam Northam, has been accused of handing cotton balls to African American children during a tour of the governor’s residence. She asked students to imagine “being slaves” and to “pick cotton”. 

This is Not the First Time The Family Has Been in Hot Water Regarding Race 

Pam Northam’s husband, Governor Ralph Northam, became the center of political whirlwind regarding race. Racist pictures of Gov. Ralph Northam surfaced, including photos of blackface and another in a Klu Klux Klan outfit. Northam says that he did use black shoe polish to resemble Michael Jackson in a dance contest. 

What the First Lady Has to Say 

“As First Lady, I have worked over the course of the last year to begin telling the full story of the Executive Mansion, which has mainly centered on Virginia’s governors. The Historic Kitchen should be a feature of Executive Mansion tours, and I believe it does a disservice to Virginians to omit the stories of the enslaved people who lived and worked there–that’s why I have been engaged in an effort to thoughtfully and honestly share this important story since I arrived in Richmond. I have provided the same educational tour to Executive Mansion visitors over the last few months and used a variety of artifacts and agricultural crops with the intention of illustrating a painful period of Virginia history. I regret that I have upset anyone. I am still committed to chronicling the important history of the Historic Kitchen, and will continue to engage historians and experts on the best way to do so in the future.”  

Governor Ralph Northam initially tried to deny that the photos the surfaced were not of him, but as Gov. Northam has elaborated more on the incidents, he has since admitted in partaking in racist activities. Whether or not Northam will be reelected remains to be seen. This incident has sparked outrage with the people of Virginia, as it should. Virginia has the chance to reject a racist leader to elect someone who will treat every citizen, and person,  as an equal American.  

Alexandria Oles

SCAD ATL '20

I am currently a Junior enrolled at Savannah College of Art and Design Atlanta campus. I am very passionate about being aware of women's societal issues and am passionate about connecting women and to be able to celebrate each other. I am passionate about design, more specifically, illustration and graphic design. My goal in life is to communicate so that we can articulately and clearly hear those around us.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World