Culture > News

US Court Says Victim’s Families of Sandy Hook Can Sue Gun Company Remington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

A Connecticut court has ruled that that the families of schoolchildren killed in the 2010 Sandy Hook mass shooting American gun maker Remington. The ruling is a rare legal defeat for an arms firm in a mass shooting case.  

The Gun in Question 

The gun belonged to Adam Lanza, who killed 27 people Including 20 elementary school students. The lawsuit, by 9 relatives and 1 survivor, describes the “militaristic” marketing of the AR-15 rifle. Lanza killed 20 students and six staff at the school. He had earlier shot his mother dead. As police closed in on the school, he killed himself. 

The Families Speak Out 

The lawyer for the families, Josh Koshoff says, “The families’ goal has always been to shed light on Remington’s calculated and profit-driven strategy to expand the AR-15 market and court high-risk users, all at the expense of Americans’ safety”. Koshoff goes on to say that “Today’s ruling is a critical step for achieving that goal.” 

Delays in Proceedings 

Remington initially delayed the proceedings for the case citing that the firm filed for bankruptcy last year in the wake of slumping sales. There was an initial suit against Remington in 2016 and an appeal by the families was taken to Connecticut’s highest court last year. The case is expected to go to the US Supreme Court.  

Protection for Gun Firms 

Under US law, gunmakers and dealers are protected from legal liability for the use of any of their weapons being used for criminal activity. Exceptions can be made, however, in the cases of harmful marketing.  

David Wheeler, A Father of a Sandy Hook Victim Speaks Out 

“It seems unbelievable that this industry would enjoy that kind of protection,” David Hook says in an interview with Financial Times. He goes on to say that, “It’s hard not to look at this [ruling] and think the states are perhaps swinging to a more sensible place.” 

Critics of the Legislation 

There are, however, critics of this legislation. Critics say that changes would not have stopped many of the recent shootings and President Trump has pledged to veto the bill if it passes the US senate. Last month, the country’s House of Representatives approved a bill expanding background checks for all gun sales. 

Many people are demanding change in our country in the wake of mass shootings and innocent victims of these shootings. It’s clear that gun control is an issue that divides citizens of the country. I feel that it is of the utmost importance to be critical of the rules and legislation regarding guns and the sales of the guns in our country. Many citizens believe that taking a step towards abolishing “militaristic” marketing for guns and weapons as a step towards more responsible gun owners. It’s important that we, as U.S. citizens, come up with a solution for an issue so wrong in our country. 

Alexandria Oles

SCAD ATL '20

I am currently a Junior enrolled at Savannah College of Art and Design Atlanta campus. I am very passionate about being aware of women's societal issues and am passionate about connecting women and to be able to celebrate each other. I am passionate about design, more specifically, illustration and graphic design. My goal in life is to communicate so that we can articulately and clearly hear those around us.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World