Tips to Stay Safe in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

As a girl and young woman, I’ve always been taught to be aware of my surroundings and to be cautious when I’m out and about. When I started college, I learned to always be careful, particularly because I go to school in Atlanta. Here are a few pieces of advice relevant to all girls going to college in the city or in a particularly rowdy collegetown that help keep us safe. 

1. Use the buddy system.

Illustration courtesy of Ahmara Smith.

Walk in groups when you can, and don’t walk alone after dark. If your school has a shuttle system like mine, use it and be safe.

2. Have your cell phone on you at all times.

Illustration courtesy of Ahmara Smith.

If you’re walking to class or around the city, keep your cell phone where you can easily reach it. The best thing is to have it in a concealed pocket where it’s not on display but where you can get to it quickly if you need to.

3. Be aware of where you park.

Illustration courtesy of Ahmara Smith.

Be sure to park in well-lit areas and to have your keys ready to go (in a pocket with your cell phone) so that you’re not fumbling around for them when you reach your car. Don’t get out of the car if you feel unsafe. Also, be sure never to leave valuables in your car.

4. Be aware of your surroundings.

Illustration courtesy of Ahmara Smith.

Don’t listen to music as you walk. If you’re carrying a purse, keep it secure to your body.

5. Carry a rape whistle or a safety alarm.

Illustration courtesy of Ahmara Smith.

Make sure whichever safety device you use makes a loud noise when you activate it to attract attention so the police or someone you trust can come to your aid.

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.