Style

Statement Earrings: Coming In Hot this SS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

You might have seen the obsession with earrings almost everywhere, from Instagram to magazines and your favorite fashion blogger. But what I noticed is that most of us don’t know a little bit from where earrings come from and in the way they are still used today. With this, I will tell short history facts on how earrings became to be and of course, how they are in trend as of today.

• In ancient times, earrings were a male accessory popular in Asia as much as 7,000 years ago.
  • In ancient Rome, earrings were only used by slaves.
  • During the course of the Middle Ages, male earrings were shifting between popularity until the Catholic Church forbade the piercing of earrings in the 13th century.
  • Pierced earrings first made their debut in the Middle East and were intended to provide strangers with a quick clue on the wearer’s religious, political or tribal identity.
  • Today different types of earrings are used by ladies with the purpose of correcting and complementing the shape of their face.

But now, back to OUR earrings! Every kind of earrings are making a comeback specifically from the 60’s and 70’s in the form of tassels, geometric shapes, hoops, stones, bling… You name it! Here are some of the earrings I will swear by this current Spring and coming Summer season.

Urban Outfitters

Alena Resin Square Hoop Earrings

Topshop

Coloured Square Drop Hoop Earrings

Zara

Geometric Earrings with Red Borders

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World