ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Six Ways to Turn your Nails into a Work of Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Nothing makes me feel quite as put together as having freshly manicured nails. I find myself staring at them constantly and admiring the way they shine and become a different color in the light. Now that summer is coming up and a lot of us will be heading to the beach, BBQ parties, weddings, and shopping centers, I thought I would share a few manicure ideas below. Some are bright and colorful for those who prefer that aesthetic and others (for people like myself) are more simple and neutral but remain reminiscent of the balmy summer breezes. 

1. Soft purple and billowing blue gradient

Image courtesy of Dreams Nails.

This reminds me of stalks of lilacs swaying by the shoreline or perhaps against the expanse of a cloudless sky. 

2. Watercolor illusion

Image courtesy of Coco’s Nails.

One of my favorites, this one also incorporates the gentle purple hues but is matte and adds little rings of gems to compliment the subtle colors. Creating this design, like many of the floral patterns, may seem difficult at first but really is only a matter of having a small brush and some creative liberty.

3. Baby rosebuds

Image courtesy of Coco’s Nails

Another example of what you could do with floral decals  this time set against a neutral background with studs. 

4. Polka-dot power

Image courtesy of Coco’s Nails.

The matte background reminds me of sunset colors while the white dots could be bubbles or tufts of clouds. The dots are easy enough to make with nail pens that feature small round tips perfect for delicate designs. 

5. Ocean depths

Image courtesy of Dreams Nails.

This one is all about the ocean  from the dark black of the ocean floor to the shimmering pale blues on the rocking waves. 

6. Classic blood red

Image courtesy of Dreams Nails.

This classic deep red looks good on nearly every skin tone. When in doubt, or if you prefer a more timeless look, this bloody hue is perfect for you. 

What are your favorite colors for summer? Do you prefer the matte look or the glossy finish? Leave your comments down below. 

An artist that chooses to express myself through writing and intense yoga poses. Right now I'm a junior at SCAD Atlanta and, as a result, a writer for HC SCAD. I am admittedly nervous to begin the new year because I'm going to delve into the waves of new students and try to find interesting people to interview. Here's hoping there's some crazy, fresh faces. I love looking at the stars and finding constellations in my free time and reading up on unsolved murder cases when I need a light read. I'm a little eccentric at times (and mostly brooding during the other hours) but I like to believe all the best people are.