This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

We live in a world where taking time for yourself or admitting that mentally you may need some personal space is becoming recognized.

Mental health and mental illness is starting to get talked about more and the ugly stigma attached is removing itself. Gone are the days you have to hide your inner personal struggles. Self care for mental health is a topic that many college students aren’t taught in high school and unfortunately in very few households as well.? Self care is more than fast mask, teas, and spas. Self care is the inner personal practice of loving yourself unconditionally. 

Self care for many college students is not encouraged as much as it should be. Girls in college are more likely to go through depression in their first two years of their college career than their male counterparts. Depression and anxiety are two common mental health issues that occur in students but aren’t really talked about. When dealing with mental health and how to use self care to help ease the mental struggles. 

Many people seem to have different practices and the most common ones seem to all do things that mentally ease your mind. Examples are yoga, meditation, therapy and other things that allow you to have a mental break. 

Yoga and other workout practices are great ways to give the brain a mental escape. While you workout you are allowing the brain to relax and allow peace to begin coming over you. You can practice great breathing techniques to use when you get into uncomfortable or anxious situations. Meditation is an element of yoga that allows you to learn how to center your mind. Meditation helps deal with the stress you could be having or any negative feelings that may have you down. 

Therapy is another great form of self care. Self care can be talking to someone one about your problems. Just having someone to talk to and a listening ear help a lot of people feel less anxious and depressed. Having a person to listen and help you sort out your inner personal issues is very comforting for many. A lot of campuses have on campus counselors. You can set up appointments and sessions that are comfortable with you. 

You can also talk to a family friend or someone you trust. You may not feel comfortable with talking to a stranger but finding someone who is close to you and you trust could help you feel better. College for a lot of women is a new experience and a life lesson go everyone. There are chances what you’re feeling your friends are too and you’re not alone as you think. 

Self care, especially mental self care is very important for women in college and should be taken seriously. Women should feel comfortable and open enough to talk about the struggles they’re facing without judgment. It’s always important to remember to support our friends but to stand up for yourself first and don’t forget to love yourself. Please do remember to consult your doctor before doing anything that requires medical attention. A professional is important when you do anything regarding your health. 

Aquene Ayasha

SCAD ATL '21

Hi my name is Aquene Ayasha. I am a mass communications student hoping to be a social media journalist one day. I write to help heal.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World