The SCAD Writing Experience with Shelley Danzy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Photo by Kate Betts.

I had the chance to catch up with Shelley Danzy, MFA Writing student, last week and ask her about her SCAD journey. See what she has to say about how she found SCAD, her inspirations, and what it’s like to work in SCAD’s ACA Library.

KB: How did you find out about SCAD and why did you choose to study here?

SD: I had an opportunity to spend an afternoon gallery-hopping and one exhibit listed was at SCAD. The security guard at the time couldn’t point me in the direction of the exhibit and suggested I step into the Welcome Center. I had not heard of SCAD before and actually had no intention of [attending] graduate school. While I was waiting for my turn to speak with someone to help me find the exhibit, I noticed the Ivy Hall Writing Center booklet on the counter. I was impressed. I was invited to a student reading at Ivy Hall and faculty and current students encouraged me to enter the program. Once I saw Ivy Hall, I thought, SCAD gets it. They understand that aesthetics are important to a writer. The faculty are working artists and the program is comprehensive. Within two weeks, I was preparing to be a student again.

KB: How did you get into writing?

SD: My parents instilled a love of reading [in me]. I had more vocabulary homework given to me at home than from school! I also had a passion for journaling and writing letters. I entered communications in college and began a radio journalism and broadcast career. Writing was key. 

KB: What’s been your favorite part of being a SCAD student? Any favorite classes?

SD: My favorite part of being a SCAD student is being challenged to learn, discover and reveal what’s on the inside; we’re not made to be clones. We’re challenged and encouraged to be the best artists we can be; we are all artists and we help each other thrive. SCAD is not a competition. The workshop feedback is valuable. We all have something to offer and I’ve found that we cheer each other on. We don’t have to wait until we graduate to be exposed to industry-specific opportunities. I know for a fact that I wouldn’t have been published or had the internship exposure that I have had as a student, had it not been for SCAD. I’ve been exposed to great authors during the Ivy Hall Writers Series and have helped high school students during the Ivy Hall Young Writers Workshop. I also have the honor of working as the Ivy Hall student assistant.

I haven’t had a class that wasn’t enjoyable; I’ve learned so much from all of them. However, I will mention that business & professional writing, promotional writing, nonfiction classes, writing for new media, photography and art history classes are dear to me because I began to discover my voice and my artistry. 

KB: Who has most inspired you creatively/as a writer?

SD: Each of the professors in the writing program. Seriously. You see, I had always been in broadcasting, so I was used to writing for others. I came into the MFA writing program with a desire to write stories and create projects. I hadn’t done it before and each of the faculty has challenged me to “write outside of the box.” All of my publishing credits come from work I’ve done at SCAD. There are novels and short stories and fascinating authors I’ve been introduced to only because of the teachings and connections through the professors in the writing department. For instance, author Pearl Cleage in my Visiting Writer class workshopped with us and gave invaluable feedback and Arianna Huffington, who opened the door for me (and others) encouraged me to write a blog post for The Huffington Post.

KB: What’s it like working at the ACA Library of SCAD? What’s the best part of your job?

SD: No two days are the same! Yes, there are books to shelve, books to check out/check in and resources to help people find, but the questions are never the same. From industry magazines and databases to artist books, special collections, DVDs and more, helping students find what they need is rewarding. I have been able to help process books … who knew that the plastic covers, call numbers, barcodes and card pockets get placed on the books by us! I am a student library assistant working with the most knowledgeable librarians. Get to know them! The Internet is a valuable resource, but to me, it doesn’t compare to the library! The best of my job is the interaction. I love greeting and helping students, faculty and staff. I enjoy finding out what projects others are working on. And of course, who wouldn’t like being among books everyday?

KB: What advice do you have for writers and/or art students?

SD: Don’t give up, don’t compare yourself to others and don’t feel you have too little to offer. Have faith to believe that everyone has gifts and talents and that what you do — what you create — will impact someone, somewhere. Understand that we don’t know it all. There is something to learn through every assignment, every discussion. Be willing to be transparent. Appreciate, encourage and support what your classmates and professors are creating. Get outside of your own department and check out lectures, workshops, etc. given by other departments. Take advantage of every opportunity; network. And definitely, get rest and sleep. No one will be able to appreciate our art if we’re not around to create it. 

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.