Profile: Yves Jeffcoat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Photo courtesy of Yves Jeffcoat

I had the chance to catch up with lovely SCAD alumna, Yves Jeffcoat, recently, and I got to pick her brain about college life, the real world, and the Brown Scribes program. Yves has been a mentor in the Scribes program, which is run through The Wren’s Nest, a local nonprofit that runs the historic house museum of Joel Chandler Harris, writer of the Br’er Rabbit stories. In the program, a group of middle schoolers are paired up with mentors who are experienced writers. Their mentors help them to write a short story, and at the end of the program all of the stories are compiled into a book! 

And heeeere’s Yves! 

What year did you graduate SCAD? What was your degree title?

I graduated in 2014 with a B.F.A. in writing.

What did you do upon graduating from SCAD—where did you work/have you worked?

When I graduated I started working as a full-time intern in communications at the City of Atlanta Department of Watershed Management, where I had been before. For a while during this period, I was a freelance writer for an internet marketing firm, and I still write and edit freelance elsewhere. I started work as a digital publisher for HowStuffWorks in early 2015, and that’s where I am now.

Could you describe a bit of what you do at HowStuffWorks?

As a digital publisher, I copyedit, format, and publish articles and monitor analytics. Pitching ideas for site content is also a part of the job. I use our content management systems to make content live, so I’m the last person who sees it before our site visitors. I also do some substantive editing and write articles, and I’m currently working on a podcast episode.

What advice do you have for current college students?

Start digging deeper into your profession before you graduate — dedicate spare time to practicing your craft, like through an internship or your own research and study. Make time for developing yourself and your interests a high priority. Think about what your dream job would be, because it will give you more direction once you graduate. And for writers specifically, don’t sit on your work. Read it to friends, family, and strangers. Publish it.

What’s one thing that you wish you could go back and tell your college self?

To manage stress better and to not downplay the role that wellness has in my success in and out of the classroom.

How did you hear about The Wren’s Nest Scribes program?

I don’t remember exactly, but it was probably through The Wren’s Nest website or Decatur Book Festival.

What has it been like volunteering with the Scribes program?

It’s been pretty rewarding. My Scribe is so imaginative and has a bunch of ideas, so it’s fun to figure out where his story is going to go. I’ve been trying hard to keep from imposing my ideas on him, and I’m learning to assist him just in saying what he wants to more clearly. Mentoring a student writer is a reminder that stories can be told so many different ways through different voices. I’m looking forward to reading all their completed stories, and I hope they keep writing after the program is done.

For more from Yves, check out her website www.yvesjeffcoat.com.

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.