Photography & The Closet Collective ATL with SCAD Alum Mary Caroline Russell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Portrait courtesy of Mary Caroline Russell

After only five years out of SCAD Atlanta, freelance entertainment photographer Mary Caroline Russell has already accumulated an impressive body of work. The 26 year-old BFA grad from 2011 has worked for Nike, Urban Outfitters, Honda, Captial Records and more and has teamed up with two other talented ladies to create The Closet Collective ATL, a volunteer initiative to aid Syrian refugees. I was able to catch up with her and learn more about her career, how SCAD prepared her for life as a photographer and what advice she has for current SCAD students. 

Photo courtesy of Mary Caroline Russell.

Emme Raus: Did you ever think you would be working where you are at the time of your graduation? 

Mary Caroline Russell: My situation was a little unique because I started working in my field while I was finishing up my degree. So, in a sense yes, but I still can’t believe this is my job.

ER: How did SCAD help you achieve your career goals?

MCR: I think there were specific teachers along the way that taught me really valuable lessons. Sandra-Lee Phipps would be at the top of the list. She helped me refine everything I was doing and always pushed me to be better while consistently sneaking me into MFA-only portfolio reviews (Thanks SLP!).

ER: What is The Closet Collective ATL and how do people get involved?

MCR: The Closet Collective ATL was created in response to the Syrian refugee crisis. We heard the founder of A21, an organization dedicated to ending human slavery and trafficking in our lifetime, speak at a women’s event at Passion City Church where she told us her recent travels to their flagship A21 office in Thessaloniki, Greece. She saw hundreds upon hundreds of people — the masses — making their trek to start over. She encountered the individual faces of real live people — holding babies, talking to women and praying for families as tears streamed down their faces. Families traumatically ripped apart, escaping their country with nothing, not even the most basic necessities. Babies without formula. Children without water. It broke our hearts. We used the resources, talents and platforms we had to create a way to generate funds to send over to A21 to help with refugee needs on the ground. Since we started we have raised over $8,000. To get involved reach out on Instagram (@theclosetcollectiveatl) or donate directly to A21!

ER: What advice do you have for current SCAD students?

MCR: Don’t despise working in obscurity; embrace it and soak as much in as possible while you are there. Instagram has forced everyone into thinking they are not good enough and if we as artists could be more concerned about honing our craft in the dark and learning who we are without a number of likes attached, I think we all would be better off. Keep your head down and work; comparison is the thief of joy. 

To see more of Mary Caroline Russell’s work, check out her online portfolio. Also, look up The Closet Collective ATL on Instagram and learn more about this impressive effort by checking out a guest blog post on Artsy Cynic Saves the World

Emme Raus

SCAD ATL

Emme Raus is studying for her B.F.A. in writing with a minor in creative writing from the Savannah College of Art and Design. She studies at the SCAD Atlanta campus and loves her dog Jerry.